1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question in prooving invertion

1. Mar 8, 2008 #1
    http://img364.imageshack.us/my.php?image=aaauo9.jpg

i need to proove that this operator is invertable
    i solved it by putting a standart basis and findind that each line in the matrix
    is independant.

is it ok??

is there any easier way to slve it??

when i tried to find the invert of this operator i got the same matrix as before
    very weird result
    is that ok??

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

[tex]P\left(\left[\begin{array}{cc}a & b \\c & d\end{array}\right]\right)= \left[\begin{array}{cc}d & c \\ b & a\end{array}\right][/tex]
    Yes, that's okay. The multiplicative inverse of 1 is 1 and the multiplicative inverse of -1 is -1. The inverse of the identity operator is obviously the indentity operator. It's quite possible for for a linear operator to be its own inverse.

And it isn't necessary to write this in terms of a basis. You can "reason" it out:

We can think of P as doing two things to a matrix: 1) Swap the columns so that
    [tex]\left[\begin{array}{cc}a & b \\c & d\end{array}\right][/tex]
    becomes
    [tex]\left[\begin{array}{cc}b & a \\d & c\end{array}\right][/tex]
    Then Swap rows so that becomes
    [tex]\left[\begin{array}{cc}d & c \\b & a\end{array}\right][/tex]

The inverse must do just the opposite, going back from
    [tex]\left[\begin{array}{cc}d & c \\b & a\end{array}\right][/tex]
    to
    [tex]\left[\begin{array}{cc}a & b \\c & d\end{array}\right][/tex]

But the inverse (opposite) of "swap the rows" is "swap the rows" and the inverse of "swap the columns" is "swap the columns"!
    What is
    [tex]P\left(P\left(\left[\begin{array}{cc}a & b \\c & d\end{array}\right]\right)\right)[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?