A question in the derivation of work done

In summary, when calculating work done by a force, we use integration to account for varying forces over a distance. The force at any point is not infinitesimally small, so we use dl to represent the smallest part of the distance moved. This is why we write ∫F.dl instead of ∫dF.dl.
ehabmozart
In our formulation of work done by a Force we say it is ∫ F.dl ... My knowledge of integration means adding Infinitesimal parts. We write dl because it is the smallest part of the distance moved. My question is why have we written F and not dF... Thanks for clarifying!

Physics news on Phys.org
ehabmozart said:
In our formulation of work done by a Force we say it is ∫ F.dl ... My knowledge of integration means adding Infinitesimal parts. We write dl because it is the smallest part of the distance moved. My question is why have we written F and not dF... Thanks for clarifying!
The force doesn't get infinitesimally small. It remains finite as it acts over an infinitesimal distance.

But not the full force is applied to this small part

ehabmozart said:
But not the full force is applied to this small part
Sure it is.

Say I exert a force of 100 N over a distance of 1 meter. I'm exerting the full 100 N over every bit of that distance.

What if the force is varying??

ehabmozart said:

That's when you integrate. If the force is constant (and the object moves in a straight line), you simply have ##W = \vec F \cdot \vec {\Delta l}##.

ehabmozart said:
As jtbell said, that's why you integrate.

But the force at any point is whatever it is, not some infinitesimal.

Say I push with some varying force for a distance of 1 meter. You can break that path up into as many small sections as you like. (When you integrate, you are making them infinitesimally small.) At any point in the path, the force has some value F(x) as it pushes through the tiny distance dx.

By analogy, think of calculating the distance traveled by something moving with some speed v:
X = V*t
Expressing it as a differential, you get dX = V*dt, not dX = dV*dt. Over the tiniest interval of time, the speed does not go to zero.

Last edited:

1. What is the formula for work done?

The formula for work done is W = F x d, where W is work, F is force, and d is displacement.

2. How is work done related to energy?

Work done is directly related to energy, as work is the transfer of energy from one form to another.

3. Can you explain the concept of work done in simpler terms?

Work done is the amount of force applied over a certain distance. It is a measure of how much energy is required to move an object.

4. How is work done calculated in real-life situations?

In real-life situations, work done can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force.

5. What are some common units for measuring work done?

The most common units for measuring work done are joules (J) and newton-meters (Nm). In the metric system, work is also measured in kilojoules (kJ) and mega joules (MJ).