A question on continuous function

In summary, the function f(x) is defined on [0,1] as 1/q if x=p/q where p and q are non-zero positive integers in simplest form, and 0 if x=0 or irrational. The set of discontinuities of f(x) is the set of all non-zero rationals in [0,1]. To show this, one can use the Cauchy definition of limit or by taking any convergent sequence and showing that the limit of the function is zero at every point. This function is Riemann integrable as the set of discontinuities has Lebesgue measure 0.
priyanka@
can anybody please help me in solving the following question:

consider the function on [0,1] f(x)=1/q if x=p/q, p&q are non zero & p,q are positive integers,
p/q is in simplest form.
= 0 if x=0 or irrational

need to show the set of discontinuities of f(x) is the set of all non zero rationals in [0,1]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Quick sketch:
Show that for each real number a, limit of d as x goes to a is 0. You can do that by showing that rationals with bounded numerator are nowhere dense. From this everything you need to prove follows trivially.
Good luck!

Thanks for the help..but I'm still not very clear with your answer. I was thinkng of doing this by using sequential continuity..like takng a random seq. <an> of non zero rationals converging to a non zero rational x. And then claiming <f(an)> not converging to f(x)..so don't know whether this approach is correct..

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it's correct. By taking any convergent sequence, we can show that limit of a function is zero at every point. It can be done from Cauchy definition of limit as well. Given a real number x, and arbitrary [tex]\epsilon[/tex], we show that in some neighbour of x rationals have denominators (I've made a mistake in previous post) large enough for function to have values less than [tex]\epsilon[/tex]. Your approach (sequences) is essentially the same.

priyanka@ said:
can anybody pls help me in solving d following question:

consider d function on [0,1] f(x)=1/q if x=p/q, p&q are non zero & p,q are +ve integers,
p/q is in simplest form.
= 0 if x=0 or irrational

need to show the set of discontinuities of f(x) is the set of all non zero rationals in [0,1]

This is not a particularly difficult question, but it most certainly sounds like a question from a class -- either homework or a test question.

So please explain the origin of the question and why providing you with an approach or an answer is consistent within the ethics of the course -- is not cheating.

When I took such classes, obtaining outside help on a question like this would have clearly been considered cheating.

Last edited:
this is neithr a homework nor a test question...m doing my msc. now...its a question of riemann integral dat i studied in b.sc...was going thru my notes...v actually need 2 show dis function is riemann integrable bt v cannot use d result"a bdd. functn for which d set of discontnuities has finfitely many limit points is riemann integrable." as dis isn't d case here..my prof. told me d set of continuities of dis fiunction bt i jst wantd 2 verify myself...was getng lil confused...so askd 4 help...jst 2 add 2 my knowledge...dats it..n nt 2 get gud marks or appreciation frm d prof...m nt into all dese thngs...

priyanka@ said:
this is neithr a homework nor a test question...m doing my msc. now...its a question of riemann integral dat i studied in b.sc...was going thru my notes...v actually need 2 show dis function is riemann integrable bt v cannot use d result"a bdd. functn for which d set of discontnuities has finfitely many limit points is riemann integrable." as dis isn't d case here..my prof. told me d set of continuities of dis fiunction bt i jst wantd 2 verify myself...was getng lil confused...so askd 4 help...jst 2 add 2 my knowledge...dats it..n nt 2 get gud marks or appreciation frm d prof...m nt into all dese thngs...

It is Riemann integrable because the set of discontinuities has Lebesgue measure 0.

thnx..bt i knew dis function is rieman integrble...was stuck up sumwhere else...

losiu99 said:
Yes, it's correct. By taking any convergent sequence, we can show that limit of a function is zero at every point. It can be done from Cauchy definition of limit as well. Given a real number x, and arbitrary [tex]\epsilon[/tex], we show that in some neighbour of x rationals have denominators (I've made a mistake in previous post) large enough for function to have values less than [tex]\epsilon[/tex]. Your approach (sequences) is essentially the same.

thank you for the help..i have got it..

1. What is a continuous function?

A continuous function is a mathematical function that has no abrupt changes or breaks in its graph. This means that the function can be drawn without lifting the pencil from the paper, and that small changes in the input variable will result in small changes in the output variable.

2. How do you determine if a function is continuous?

A function is considered continuous at a specific point if the limit of the function as the input variable approaches that point is equal to the value of the function at that point. In other words, the left-hand limit and the right-hand limit must be equal at that point.

3. What is the difference between pointwise continuity and uniform continuity?

Pointwise continuity means that a function is continuous at each individual point in its domain. Uniform continuity means that a function is continuous over its entire domain, and that the rate of change is consistent throughout.

4. Can a function be continuous but not differentiable?

Yes, a function can be continuous but not differentiable. This means that the function has no abrupt changes or breaks, but it may still have sharp turns or corners that prevent it from being differentiable at certain points.

5. How is continuity related to differentiability?

A function must be continuous in order to be differentiable. This means that a function must have no abrupt changes or breaks in order for it to be possible to calculate the derivative at a specific point. However, a function can be continuous without being differentiable, as long as the sharp turns or corners do not occur at the specific point where the derivative is being calculated.