1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A quick Trig Identity Question.

1. Jan 28, 2014 #1
    Hopefully this will make sense...

We have the trig. identities shown below:
    sin(u)cos(v) = 0.5[sin(u+v) + sin(u-v)]
    cos(u)sin(v) = 0.5[sin(u+v) - sin(u-v)]

How are these different? I realize u and v switched between the sine and cosine functions, but what is the difference between u and v? I recognize that there is a difference between taking sine of a number u and sine of a different number v, and same with taking the cosine of a those numbers, I just don't see how we differentiate between u and v. Like say we have...

x(t) = sin(2πt)cos(2π10t) and we choose u = 2πt and v = 2π10t
    so that x1(t) = 0.5[sin(2π11t) + sin(2π9t)]
    but what if we choose u = 2π10t and v = 2πt
    then x2(t) = 0.5[sin(2π11t) - sin(2π9t)], which is different than the original x(t) even though we simply chose u and v to be different?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2014 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your mistake is here. The formula is ##0.5[\sin(u+v) + \sin(u-v)]##, so the argument to the second ##\sin## should be ##-2\pi 9 t##, not ##2\pi 9 t##. Then use the fact that ##\sin(-x) = -\sin(x)## to see that the two answers are in fact the same.

4. Jan 28, 2014 #3
    Oh I see now. Thank you.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook