1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confusion with product-to-sum trig identities

1. Jul 9, 2013 #1
    I'm having some confusion with a couple trig identities. On wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_trigonometric_identities#Product-to-sum_and_sum-to-product_identities), the following two identities are listed:

sinθcosβ = (1/2)[sin(θ+β) + sin(θ-β)]

and

sinβcosθ = (1/2)[sin(θ+β) - sin(θ-β)]

I can see the difference between them if they are used with the same variables θ and β. But, how do you know which one is valid in any given situation? I find this a hard question to phrase, but I hope you can see my confusion. If you have sin x cos y, which identity can you apply? Does it matter? So long as you apply the other one to sin y cos x?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2013 #2

Ackbach

Gold Member

They're really the same identity - one of them being superfluous. If you swap the roles of the arguments, and use the fact that [itex]\sin(-x)=-\sin(x)[/itex], then you will see that they are the same.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  4. Jul 9, 2013 #3
    I see, thank you.

5. Jul 9, 2013 #4

Ackbach

Gold Member

You're welcome!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook