Will the Projectile Hit the Falling Target?

• Thread starter 404
  • Start date
In summary, a projectile leaves the gun at the same instant that the target is dropped from rest. Assuming that the gun is initially aimed at the target, show that the projectile will hit the target.
A really tough question

well.. for me atleast
A projectile leaves the gun at the same instant that the target is dropped from rest. Assuming that the gun is initially aimed at the target, show that the projectile will hit the target.
Any hints? I'm still trying to figure out where to start :cry:

EDIT: *though = tough
...can someone please tell me what the answer would be? So atleast I would know if I solved it right or not.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Both of their y-components are equal... The x - component of the bullet is just there to get in the way. Assuming no friction or air resistance

well, you know that the acceleration of gravity is -9.81 m/s^2 right? that has something to do with it. does it say if they start at the same height?

no, the gun is below the target, but it is aimed straight at the target.

Well, I suppose their time value would be the same as well.

well, you know that the acceleration of gravity has no effect on the horizontal component, and no matter the mass of the object, the downward acceleration will be the same for both. the velocities will be different, because of mass differences, but you can still use that information to solve it.

Yeah, I already know all the things talked about above from all the other projectile motion questions I did... I made some progress, but can someone please tell me what the answer would be? So atleast I would know if I solved it right or not...

well, unless you have specific numbers for like the velocity of the bullet, or masses, then there's no number-plugging work, obviously. this link seems to show it accurately: http://www.physicsclassroom.com/mmedia/vectors/mzf.html
if that doesn't help you, then i don't know what to do, because monkeys and bananas can solve ALL problems.

lol... thanks, I read it, but it doesn't seem to give an algebraic solution.

bump, does anyone know?

Lets say that the distance between them on the x- axis is X, and on the y-axis it is Y, the target's hight is H. The components of the projectile's initial speed are Vx and Vy, without gravity they should hit with those speeds. So the time that it takes the projectile to get to the target is X/Vx we'll call that time T. T is constant with or without gravity (as they mentioned above). With gravity we can write that the projectile's hight is:
h = Vy*t - 1/2*gt^2 and the target's hight is:
h = H - 1/2*gt^2
we know that for them to collide they have to have the same hight at time T (thats when they have the same x). we also know that Vy*T = H because without gravity they would have hit at hight H (the target woulden't have fallen, so after time T the projectile's hight is:
hp = H - 1/2*gT^2 and the target's hight is:
ht = H - 1/2*gT^2 so:
ht = hp!

Oh I see now. Thanks

1. What makes a question really tough?

A really tough question can be defined as one that challenges our thinking, requires deep analysis, and often has no simple answer. It may also involve multiple perspectives and considerations.

2. How can I approach a really tough question?

To approach a really tough question, it's important to first break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. Then, gather as much information and different perspectives as possible before analyzing and synthesizing the information to form a well-informed answer.

3. Can a really tough question have multiple answers?

Yes, a really tough question can have multiple answers, as there may be many different perspectives and considerations to take into account. It's important to consider all possible answers and weigh their validity before coming to a conclusion.

4. How do I know if I've answered a really tough question correctly?

There is no one correct answer to a really tough question, as it often involves personal opinions and interpretations. However, a well-researched and well-supported answer that considers multiple perspectives and evidence can be considered a strong and valid answer.

5. What skills can I develop by facing really tough questions?

Facing really tough questions can help develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. It also encourages open-mindedness, empathy, and the ability to consider different perspectives. These skills are valuable not only in the scientific field, but also in everyday life.