1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A rectangle with Charges on Each Corner - Find Missing Charge?

1. Oct 12, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A charge is to be placed at the empty corner of a rectangle to make the net force at corner A point along the vertical direction. What charge (magnitude and algebraic sign) must be placed at the empty corner if the three charges have the same charge of +8.45 μC?

2. Relevant equations
    F = kq1q1/r^2

3. The attempt at a solution

because we know that the net force on A is going to be in the vertical direction we know this is the resultant. Therefore i know the horizontal forces must cancel out..but isn't there only one existing horizontal force coming from the charge at the bottom right corner?

F = (8.99x10^9)(8.45 x10^-6)^2/d^2

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi nerd, and welcome to PF :-)

Show us your attempt and only then we are allowed to help. Why ? See the guidelines

4. Oct 12, 2014 #3
    Okay I added my attempt..but i seriously do not know where to go from this :(

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  5. Oct 13, 2014 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You don't have to worry about forces as such, just think about the fields.
    Suppose you put a charge q at the fourth corner. What horizontal field will this give at A?

6. Oct 13, 2014 #5

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't see an attempt, and it certainly doesn't look like your own work. Tell me about the forces at A due to the other two yellow bulbs. Magnitude, direction ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted