What is the Net Force on q1 in a Rectangle of Charges?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Cimino54
Messages
2
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


Four charges,
q1 = +145 µC, q2 = +55 µC, q3 = −150 µC, and q4 = +27 µC,
are fixed at the corners of a 4 m by 5 m rectangle, as illustrated in the figure below. What are the magnitude (in N) and the direction (in degrees counterclockwise from the +x-axis) of the net force acting on q1? (Assume the x-axis extends from q1 to the right.)
3-p-023.png


Homework Equations


1. Fe = (kq1q2)/(r2)
2. a2 + b2 = c2
3. Fx = Fsinθ
4. Fy = Fcosθ

The Attempt at a Solution


1. I determined the distance between charges 1/3 & 2/4 using Pythagorean theorem.
2. I solved for the forces between all charges using equation 1. I solved for the forces between 1/2, 3/4, 1/4, 2/3, 1/3, and 2/4.
3. I resolved forces 1/3 and 2/4 into x and y components using equations 3 & 4.
4. I add all x components together and all y components together.
5. I used equation 2 to get the overall magnitude of the x+y components.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: obanz2nd
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Cimino54 and welcome to PF. :welcome:

You describe what you did, but you do not show what you got and how that relates to what the problem is asking. For example, what is the relevance of solving for all the possible pairs of forces (step 2 in your attempt at solution)? Before you start calculating stuff, you need to have a strategy. What is your strategy here?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: gneill
2016-10-09 20.01.18.jpg
2016-10-09 20.00.58.jpg
2016-10-09 20.01.12.jpg
 
Attachments
  • 2016-10-09 20.01.01.jpg
    2016-10-09 20.01.01.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 440
  • 2016-10-09 20.01.18.jpg
    2016-10-09 20.01.18.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 457
  • 2016-10-09 20.00.58.jpg
    2016-10-09 20.00.58.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 494
  • 2016-10-09 20.00.58.jpg
    2016-10-09 20.00.58.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 483
  • 2016-10-09 20.01.12.jpg
    2016-10-09 20.01.12.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 457
  • 2016-10-09 20.01.01.jpg
    2016-10-09 20.01.01.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 478
OK, there are a lot of numbers in your post that are difficult to interpret. For example, at the very bottom I see two sets of x and y components of forces. Both sets are labeled Fx and Fy. Which forces are these? You need to use subscripts to distinguish where they come from. Start from the equation that you have written as ##\vec{F}_{q1}=\vec{F}_{q2}+\vec{F}_{q3}+\vec{F}_{q4}##. That's a good starting point. Now you need to write the 6 components on the right, namely Fq2x, Fq2y, Fq3x, Fq3y, Fq4x, Fq4y. Can you do that? Also, I see triangles in your solution that have a 45o angle. What angle is that? How is it formed?
 
kuruman said:
OK, there are a lot of numbers in your post that are difficult to interpret. For example, at the very bottom I see two sets of x and y components of forces. Both sets are labeled Fx and Fy. Which forces are these? You need to use subscripts to distinguish where they come from. Start from the equation that you have written as ##\vec{F}_{q1}=\vec{F}_{q2}+\vec{F}_{q3}+\vec{F}_{q4}##. That's a good starting point. Now you need to write the 6 components on the right, namely Fq2x, Fq2y, Fq3x, Fq3y, Fq4x, Fq4y. Can you do that? Also, I see triangles in your solution that have a 45o angle. What angle is that? How is it formed?
Might I suggest starting with something simpler?
Cimino, can you calculate the X and Y components of the force q3 exerts on q1? Please show all your working.