A rock is thrown with height, direction, and inital velocity provided

In summary, the rock is thrown off a 100 m cliff at an angle of 38 degrees below horizontal with an initial velocity of 20.0 m/s. The rock reaches a max height of 39.6 m before crashing to the ground.
mcKempt

Homework Statement

A rock is thrown off a 100 m cliff at an angle of 38 degrees below horizontal with an initial velocity of 20.0 m/s.
a) What is the total time in flight?
b) What is the horizontal range?
c) What is the max height reached by the rock?

Homework Equations

x = x_0 + v_x t
y = y_0 + v_0y t - 1/2 g t^2

The Attempt at a Solution

The answers are
a) t = 3.43 s
b) R= 54.2 m
c) 100m, trick question.

I don't get how the answers are made (I struggle with motion in two directions), but I've had them provided to me in class. I'm confused as to the process to get the answers. Above are the equations the instructor used in class, but I'm also confused as to why he used them. My book states only three kinematic equations, and those are:
v_f = v_0 + a t
Δx = v_0 t + 1/2 a t^2
v_f^2 = v_0^2 + 2 a Δx
and their vertical identicals.

Is it possible to get the answers using those three kinematic equations instead of the ones he used? Or can someone talk me through WHEN those two equations he used should be used? Like are they for projectile motion in two directions only or something?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
mcKempt said:
My book states only three kinematic equations, and those are:
v_f = v_0 + a t
Δx = v_0 t + 1/2 a t^2
v_f^2 = v_0^2 + 2 a Δx
and their vertical identicals.

Is it possible to get the answers using those three kinematic equations instead of the ones he used?
The second equation from your book (highlighted) can be used to get both of the equations used by your instructor. (In one case the acceleration will be zero.)

Ahhhh, I see now. I always thought the first equation was given by v_0 = {x_f - x_0}over{t}.

So when I do it:
I plug in my values into Δx = v_0 t + 1/2 a t^2, I get time to equal either 69.70 or -167.27 after using the quadratic equation. This is not right.

Am I suppose to split the initial velocity into x and y components?

I found it, had to split the initial velocity and use the horizontal component into my initial velocity when I did the quadratic.

How am I suppose to know when to use the x or the y components when I solve a problem like this?

Also, since I found time (rather simple, too) how do I solve part B?

BTW - when I use the range equation for part B, I get 39.6 m.

NVM, found it. Had to plug the x-component of velocity into the first equation my instructor gave with the time we found.

Thanks, this can be closed.

1. What is the equation for calculating the height of a rock thrown with given initial velocity and direction?

The equation for calculating the height of a rock thrown with given initial velocity and direction is h = v0sinθ * t - 1/2 * g * t^2, where h is the height, v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of elevation, t is the time, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

2. How does the initial velocity of a rock affect its height when thrown at a given angle?

The initial velocity of a rock has a direct impact on its height when thrown at a given angle. The higher the initial velocity, the higher the resulting height will be. This is because the initial velocity determines the speed at which the rock travels, and a higher speed will result in the rock traveling a greater distance before gravity pulls it back down.

3. Can the direction in which a rock is thrown affect its height?

Yes, the direction in which a rock is thrown can affect its height. The angle of elevation at which the rock is thrown will determine the initial velocity in the vertical direction, which directly affects the height. Throwing the rock at a higher angle will result in a higher initial velocity in the vertical direction, resulting in a higher height.

4. How does the time of flight of a rock change with increasing initial velocity?

The time of flight of a rock increases with increasing initial velocity. This is because a higher initial velocity will result in the rock traveling a greater distance before gravity pulls it back down. The time of flight can be calculated using the equation t = 2v0sinθ/g, where t is the time, v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of elevation, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. Is the height of a rock thrown with a given initial velocity and direction affected by air resistance?

Yes, the height of a rock thrown with a given initial velocity and direction is affected by air resistance. Air resistance is a force that opposes the motion of objects through air. As the rock travels through the air, it will experience air resistance, which can decrease its height by reducing its initial velocity and slowing it down. However, the effect of air resistance is typically minimal and can be ignored in most cases.