1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Rocket was launched directly upwards from rest.

1. Dec 29, 2011 #1
    Hi, I have this particular question, to which i think my method is correct, though the answer from the book which this question is in gives different to mine. Please! any assistance will be very much appreciated!

Question:

A Rocket was launched directly upwards from rest. Its motors operated for 30s after it left the launch pad, providing it with a constant vertical acceleration of 6.0m/s during this time. Its motors then switched off.

Calculate its velocity.

My method:
    Take upwards as + and g = 9.8

then u= 0 t= 30 a= -9.8+6 = -3.8

since V= u +at we get -3.8 X 30 = -114 = 114m/s!

BUT THE BOOK GIVES THE ANSWER AS 180m/s. (This means they've taken acceleration as 6! But surely acceleration due to gravity is acting downwards, so we need to calculate a resultant acceleration first!)

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2011 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Re: Rocket

Presumably, the 6 m/s2 is the resultant acceleration, including the effect of gravity. (It wouldn't be much of a rocket if the net acceleration were downward!)

4. Dec 29, 2011 #3
    Re: Rocket

Ahhhh I get it now! so the motor is providing an acceleration of 15.8m/s^2!!!

hence resultant acceleration is 15.8-9.8= 6!

I wouldn't have presumed that was the case, to me 6m/s^2 was the genuine acceleration the motor provided.

Thank you for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook