1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ambiguity in part B -- Rocket engine failure...

1. Feb 4, 2016 #1
    • Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.
    Question: A 7750 kg rocket blasts off vertically from the launch pad with a constant upward acceleration of 2.35 m/s^2 and feels no appreciable air resistance. When it has reached a height of 555 m , its engines suddenly fail so that the only force acting on it is now gravity.

Part B: How much time after engine failure will elapse before the rocket comes crashing down to the launch pad?

So, I understood Part B to mean: calculate the time from 555 m, when the engines fail, to the max height, when velocity=0. However, they are looking for the time from when the engines shuts off, 555 m, to when it crashes.

I feel like Part B is ambiguous... we use MasteringPhysics and the book is great, but it seems like it was written in a lazy way. Maybe it's just me.

What do you think?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2016 #2
    p.s. I already solved the problem, but this wording is bothering me!

4. Feb 4, 2016 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I agree it's unclear. Had it said "onto" the launch pad there would be no ambiguity.

5. Feb 5, 2016 #4
    Okay, thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted