A rope and a frictionless table

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a rope on a frictionless table and the conditions needed for it to be at rest. The final two equations for the problem are yAeyt-yBe-yt=0 and L0=Aeyt+Be-yt. The individual has some confusion about the equations and seeks confirmation or clarification.
davesface

Homework Statement

A rope of mass M and length L lies on a frictionless table, with a short portion L0 hanging through a hole. Initially the rope is at rest. Evaluate A and B so that the initial conditions are satisfied.

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so I understand the problem and have gotten the final 2 equations (according to my book):
yAeyt-yBe-yt=0
L0=Aeyt+Be-yt

It looks like, according to the first equation, Be-yt=Aeyt. Plugging this into the second equation, L0=2Aeyt and L0=2Be-yt. This seems intuitively wrong, but I'm not sure exactly why. Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bump. All I need is some confirmation, or a way to confirm, that I have the correct equations.

I would approach this problem by first reviewing the initial conditions and making sure that I understand them correctly. In this case, the rope is at rest and a short portion is hanging through a hole on a frictionless table. Next, I would review the equations given in the attempt at a solution and make sure they are correct. From my understanding, the second equation should be L0 = Aeyt - Be-yt, not L0 = Aeyt + Be-yt. This is because the rope is initially at rest, so the sum of the two forces acting on it (Aeyt and Be-yt) must be equal to zero.

Next, I would try to understand why the solution seems intuitively wrong. One possibility could be that the equation L0 = 2Aeyt and L0 = 2Be-yt implies that the mass of the rope is doubled, which is not consistent with the initial conditions given. Another possibility could be that the equations do not take into account the fact that the rope is hanging through a hole, which could affect the forces acting on it.

To address these concerns, I would suggest reevaluating the equations and incorporating the fact that the rope is hanging through a hole. This could potentially involve adding a third force (tension) to the equations. Additionally, I would double check the initial conditions and make sure that all assumptions are consistent with the given information.

Overall, as a scientist, I would approach this problem with a critical and analytical mindset, constantly reviewing and reassessing the given information and equations in order to find a solution that is consistent and accurate.

1. What is the concept of a frictionless table?

A frictionless table is a theoretical construct in which a surface has no friction or resistance to motion. This means that an object placed on a frictionless table would be able to move without any external forces acting on it.

2. Can a rope stay still on a frictionless table?

No, a rope cannot stay still on a frictionless table because it does not have any friction to hold it in place. The rope would slide or fall off the table due to its own weight or any external forces acting on it.

3. How does friction affect the motion of objects on a frictionless table?

Friction does not affect the motion of objects on a frictionless table because there is no resistance to motion. This means that objects on a frictionless table would continue to move at a constant speed unless acted upon by an external force.

4. Are there any real-life examples of a frictionless table?

No, there are no real-life examples of a completely frictionless table. However, scientists use the concept of a frictionless table in theoretical physics to study the behavior of objects in a frictionless environment.

5. How does a frictionless table impact the study of physics?

A frictionless table allows scientists to simplify and study the fundamental principles of motion without the interference of friction. This helps in understanding the behavior of objects in ideal conditions and can lead to the development of new technologies and advancements in various fields of science and engineering.