A search for a classic, out of print Linear Algebra textbook

In summary, the conversation was about finding an introductory linear algebra textbook, with one person recommending Introduction to Linear Algebra by Marcus and Minc, which is out of print and difficult to find an ebook version of. Another person suggested checking a website for used copies or trying a book by Professor Robert A. van de Geijn.
Duncan R
I'm looking for an excellent introductory linear algebra textbook for my second year pure mathematics course. My lecturer highly recommended Introduction to Linear Algebra by Marcus and Minc. She said she has searched for it for many years without success, as it is out of print. I love classic textbooks with pleasingly alliterative author names; do any of you know of an ebook version of this one?

I strongly dislike physical copies of textbooks, and instead have them all as annotatable ebooks on my surface pro. I have searched in vain for an ebook version of Marcus and Minc (paid or royalty-free), and could only find those ebook scam sites. Surely at some point a librarian has thought to have it scanned? And that said scanned copy will be hidden on some dusty server somewhere?

Unfortunately I can't buy physical textbook copies on Amazon anyway, since there is no shipping to South Africa. If no Marcus and Minc ebook is to be found, any suggestions of similarly excellent beginner to intermediate level Linear algebra textbooks would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Duncan,

I would recommend a book written by Professor Robert A. van de Geijn from the University of Texas: "Linear Algebra: Foundations to Frontiers" (available as PDF file):
http://www.ulaff.net/
There is also an online course (archived; still with all video lectures available) on edx.org, under the same name. It is free, and very informative.

Good luck !

What is a Linear Algebra textbook?

A Linear Algebra textbook is a book that covers the fundamental concepts and techniques of linear algebra, including vector spaces, matrices, determinants, and linear transformations.

Why is a classic, out of print Linear Algebra textbook sought after?

A classic, out of print Linear Algebra textbook is sought after because it is considered a valuable resource that has stood the test of time and is highly recommended by experts in the field. It may also contain unique perspectives or explanations that are not found in newer textbooks.

Where can I find a classic, out of print Linear Algebra textbook?

You can find a classic, out of print Linear Algebra textbook through online marketplaces such as Amazon or eBay, or through specialized booksellers or secondhand bookstores. You can also try searching for digital copies through online libraries or archives.

What should I consider when searching for a classic, out of print Linear Algebra textbook?

When searching for a classic, out of print Linear Algebra textbook, you should consider the edition, condition, and price of the book. You should also research the author and publication date to ensure that the book covers the specific topics and concepts you are interested in.

Are there any alternatives to a classic, out of print Linear Algebra textbook?

Yes, there are alternatives to a classic, out of print Linear Algebra textbook. You can find newer textbooks that cover the same concepts, as well as online resources such as lectures, tutorials, and practice problems. You may also consider consulting with a professor or colleague for recommendations on other textbooks or resources.