A shell method (calculus) question?

In summary, the conversation discusses using the shell method to find the volume of a shape generated by rotating a curve around a certain axis. The equation V=2pi∫(radius)(height) dx is used, with a given radius and height. The answer is found to be approximately 155.51, which is confirmed to be correct. It is noted that this may seem like a large volume, but a rough estimate using a simpler shape results in a similar value.
jcfor3ver

Homework Statement

Heres the question.
Use shell method to find volume:

y=3+2x-x^2 with boundaries: y=0, x=0, intercept x=3 and rotate around x=4

Homework Equations

I know that V=2pi (integral from 0 to 3) (radius)*(height) dx

The Attempt at a Solution

My radius was (4-x) and my ht was y=3+2x-x^2

now my answer was aprox= 155.51, and i triple checked it. What the hell am I doing wrong because it seems like that volume is much too large for an answer. my exact answer was 99/2pi

Physics news on Phys.org
You didn't do anything wrong. Your answer is correct. Your intuition is off.

To get a really rough estimate of what the volume should be, try approximating the shape as a flat disk of radius 4 with a hole of radius 1 in the middle. If you plot y vs. x, you can see 3 would be a decent approximation for the height of this flat disk. If you calculate the volume of the disk, it comes out to 47π, which is pretty close to the exact volume you found.

What is a shell method?

The shell method is a technique in calculus for finding the volume of a solid of revolution. It involves using cylindrical shells to approximate the volume of a three-dimensional object.

When do you use the shell method?

The shell method is typically used when the cross-sectional area of the object is perpendicular to the axis of rotation. It is also used when the object has a hole or empty space in the middle, as this can be accounted for by subtracting the volume of the hole from the total volume.

What is the formula for the shell method?

The formula for the shell method is V = 2π∫(x)(f(x))dx, where x is the distance from the axis of rotation and f(x) is the function representing the cross-sectional area of the object at that distance.

Can the shell method be used for any shape?

No, the shell method can only be used for objects that can be formed by rotating a two-dimensional shape around an axis. It is most commonly used for objects with circular or semi-circular cross-sections, but can also be used for other shapes such as rectangles or triangles.

What are some common mistakes when using the shell method?

Some common mistakes when using the shell method include forgetting to subtract the volume of any holes or empty spaces in the object, using the wrong axis of rotation, and not properly setting up the integral by correctly identifying the limits of integration and choosing the correct function for f(x).