1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using shell method to find the volume of a solid

1. Sep 12, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Use the shell method to find the volume of the solid generated by revolving the region bounded by the line y=2x+15 and the parabola y=x2 about the following lines:

a) The line x=5 b) The line x= -3 c) The x-axis d) The line y=25

Note: leave answer in terms of pi

2. Relevant equations

v=2pi∫(shell radius)(shell height)

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that I am making a mistake somewhere; I have a feeling that it is in my set... I am hoping that someone will be able to point it out to me. I am stuck on part a) and if I figure out my mistake I am confident that I will be able to do the other parts of the problem.

First thing that I did (after graphing which is attached) was find the limits of integration:
    2x+15=x2
    x2-2x-15
    (x-5)(x+3)
    So the limits of integration are from -3 to 5.

v=2pi∫(5-x)(2x+15-x2)dx

v=2pi∫10x+75-5x2-2x2-15x+x3

v=2pi∫75-7x2-5x+x3

v=2pi(75x-(7/3)x3-(5/2)x2+(1/4)x4

(plug in the limits of integration)
    v=2pi [(2125/12)+(607/4)]

v=2pi(1973/6)

v=1973pi/3 <---this answer is wrong.

I hope that someone will be able to help me with this, thanks for stopping by and sorry for the crappy paint graph.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2014 #2
    Your setup is fine, but your value for the primitive function at x=-3 is not correct. Try computing that particular value again. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted