A simple car and friction problem

In summary, the frictional force exerted by the road on a car's tires is what accelerates the car along a flat road. When the wheels do not spin, the acceleration can be greater due to the difference between kinetic and static coefficients of friction. "Spinning the wheels" refers to when the wheels turn too fast and slip on the road, reducing their grip. This is why pressing the gas pedal too hard can cause the car to remain stationary or move very slowly on icy roads.
LeSage
Hi! I cannot answer this question:

The force that accelerates a car along a flat road is the frictional force exerted by the road on the car's tires. Explain why the acceleration can be greater when the wheels do not spin.

I know that friction is the force that is moving it forward and the answer is about the coefficients of friction, but I can't seem to understand that if the wheels do not spin, the acceleration will be greater because...well, won't the car remain stationary?

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the difference between the friction that exists when two surfaces are stationary with respect to each other, and when they are sliding against one another.

"Spinning the wheels" means you hit the gas pedal so hard that the wheels turn too fast and slip on the road (usually ice). As soon as they start slipping, their grip on the road is reduced.

When I first started driving, I could not get my mother's car to go up the icy little hill on our street. The wheels spun, but the car did not move forward. I was pressing the gas pedal too hard. My cousin very gently pressed the gas pedal and the car very slowly went up the hill!

It has something to do with the kinetic versus static coefficients of friction for rubber on ice.

1. What is friction?

Friction is the force that resists the motion of an object when it comes into contact with another object or surface.

2. How does friction affect a car's performance?

Friction affects a car's performance by creating resistance between the tires and the road, which can decrease the car's speed and make it harder to turn or stop.

3. How can friction be reduced in a car?

Friction can be reduced in a car by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, to reduce the contact between moving parts, or by using materials with low friction coefficients, such as Teflon.

4. Why is friction important in designing car tires?

Friction is important in designing car tires because it determines the level of grip and traction the tires have on the road, which affects the car's ability to accelerate, turn, and brake safely.

5. How can friction be beneficial in a car?

Friction can be beneficial in a car by providing the necessary traction for the tires to grip the road, allowing the car to accelerate, turn, and brake effectively. It also helps to prevent the car from sliding or skidding on slippery surfaces.