A simple computation using Leibniz's Rule

• Thread starter jakemf1986
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computation
In summary, the conversation discusses a computational question and solution involving the variable V, defined by a complex equation with a constant r and function F. The question is to show a specific derivative of V, and the attempted solution includes the use of Leibniz's Rule. However, a mistake may have been made in the article or in the differentiation process.
jakemf1986
A simple computational question, that I saw in a journal article and have been having trouble getting.

Define the variable V (implicitly) by:

[itex]V=b + \int^{rV}_{0} rV dF(s) + \int^{\infty}_{rV} s dF(s)[/itex],

where r is a constant and F has support on [0,∞).

Question: Show that [itex]\frac{dV}{db}=\frac{1}{1-rF(rV)}[/itex],

My attempted solution: Differentiate with respect to V and use Leibniz's Rule to get

[itex]1=\frac{db}{dV} + r\cdot rVf(V) - 0 + \int^{rV}_0 r dF(s) + 0 - rVf(V) + 0 = \frac{db}{dV} + r^{2} Vf(V) + rF(rV) - rVf(V)[/itex]

Rearrangement yields

[itex]\frac{dV}{db}=\frac{1}{1-rF(rV)+rVf(V)(1-r)}[/itex]

Notice that my solution has an additional ugly term in the denominator.

Is my solution wrong? Or could perhaps a mistake have been made in the article?

Thank you.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
bump =)

Hey jakemf1986 and welcome to the forums.

I think you have differentiated at least one of the integral terms incorrectly since one of the limits involves V. When this happens you need to use a special kind of chain rule.

Does this help?

What is Leibniz's Rule?

Leibniz's Rule, also known as the generalized product rule, is a mathematical formula used to differentiate a product of two or more functions.

When is Leibniz's Rule used?

Leibniz's Rule is used when finding the derivative of a product of two or more functions that cannot be easily differentiated using the standard product rule.

How is Leibniz's Rule applied?

To apply Leibniz's Rule, the functions in the product must be expressed in terms of a single variable. Then, the rule is applied by taking the derivative of each function and multiplying them together, while also adding the original functions multiplied by their respective derivatives.

What are the limitations of Leibniz's Rule?

Leibniz's Rule can only be used for products of two or more functions, and each function must be differentiable. It also cannot be used for products of infinitely many functions.

What are some real-world applications of Leibniz's Rule?

Leibniz's Rule has many applications in physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to find the maximum or minimum values of a function, to calculate the rate of change of a system, and to solve optimization problems.