Differentiation under the Integral Sign

In summary, the conversation discusses defining a variable V in an economics journal article and attempting to show that the derivative of V with respect to b is equal to 1 divided by 1 minus r times the cumulative distribution function of rV. The individual's attempted solution involves differentiating with respect to V and using Leibniz's Rule, but there is uncertainty about whether the solution is correct or if there may be a mistake in the article.
jakemf1986
This is not actually a homework question but something I saw in a (economics) journal article and have been having trouble getting. It's very simple so I thought I'd post it here.

Define the variable V (implicitly) by:

[itex]V=b + \int^{rV}_{0} rV dF(s) + \int^{\infty}_{rV} s dF(s)[/itex],

where r is a constant and F has support on [0,∞).

Question: Show that [itex]\frac{dV}{db}=\frac{1}{1-rF(rV)}[/itex],

My attempted solution: Differentiate with respect to V and use Leibniz's Rule to get

[itex]1=\frac{db}{dV} + r\cdot rVf(V) - 0 + \int^{rV}_0 r dF(s) + 0 - rVf(V) + 0 = \frac{db}{dV} + r^{2} Vf(V) + rF(rV) - rVf(V)[/itex]

Rearrangement yields

[itex]\frac{dV}{db}=\frac{1}{1-rF(rV)+rVf(V)(1-r)}[/itex]

Notice that my solution has an additional ugly term in the denominator.

Is my solution wrong? Or could perhaps a mistake have been made in the article?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
bump =)

1. What is "Differentiation under the Integral Sign"?

"Differentiation under the Integral Sign" is a mathematical technique for finding the derivative of an integral with a variable upper limit. It is also known as the Leibniz integral rule and can be used to solve a variety of problems in calculus and physics.

2. When should "Differentiation under the Integral Sign" be used?

This technique should be used when the integrand (the function inside the integral) depends on a variable that is also the upper limit of the integral. In these cases, traditional methods of differentiation may not work, and "Differentiation under the Integral Sign" can provide a solution.

3. How does "Differentiation under the Integral Sign" work?

The technique involves differentiating the integral with respect to the variable in the upper limit, then substituting the original upper limit back into the resulting expression. This is done by using the fundamental theorem of calculus and the chain rule. The resulting expression is then evaluated at the original lower limit.

4. What are the benefits of using "Differentiation under the Integral Sign"?

Using this technique can simplify the process of finding the derivative of an integral with a variable upper limit, as it eliminates the need for complicated substitutions and algebraic manipulations. It is also a useful tool for solving certain types of problems in physics and engineering.

5. Are there any limitations to "Differentiation under the Integral Sign"?

While this technique can be a useful tool, it is not a universal solution and may not work for all integrands. In some cases, traditional methods of differentiation may still be necessary. It is important to carefully consider the problem at hand and determine if "Differentiation under the Integral Sign" is the most appropriate approach.