A Simple Way to Measure Magnetic Fields

In summary: But anyways, in summary, the magnetic field in which the loop is placed is constant, but the area of the loop inside the field decreases at a constant rate. The emf induced in the loop is measured to be V.
cse63146

Homework Statement

A loop of wire is at the edge of a region of space containing a uniform magnetic field B. The plane of the loop is perpendicular to the magnetic field. Now the loop is pulled out of this region in such a way that the area A of the coil inside the magnetic field region is decreasing at the constant rate . That is, [tex]\frac{dA}{dt} = -c[/tex] , with c >0 .

The induced emf in the loop is measured to be V. What is the magnitude B of the magnetic field that the loop was in?
Express your answer in terms of some or all of the variables A ,c , and V.

183444.jpg

Homework Equations

[tex]\epsilon = | \frac{d\Phi_m}{dt} |[/tex]
[tex]\Phi_m = AB[/tex]
[tex]\epsilon = lvB[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I get these three hints:

Hint 1. The formula for the magnetic flux through a loop

Hint 2. How to take the derivative of the product of two functions

Hint 3. The formula for the emf induced in a loop (Faraday's law)

So I know [tex]B = \frac{\Phi_m}{A}[/tex], would I just find the derivative of that?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ok well you know [itex]\Phi=BA[/itex]

and Faraday's law is that the emf induced.[itex]E=-\frac{-d\Phi}{dt}[/itex]
so

[tex]E= - \frac{d\Phi}{dt} = - \frac{d}{dt}(BA)[/tex]

B is constant so you can can remove it from inside the brackets...Can you see it better now?

So it's like this:

[tex]\Phi = BA[/tex]

[tex]- \frac{d\Phi }{dt} =-B \frac{dA}{dt}[/tex]

[tex]E = -B(-c) = Bc[/tex]

which implies that B = E/c (assuming I didnt make any mistakes), but it says I need to express it in terms of A, c, or V.

Did I make a mistake anywhere?

Well E is really V..so V=Bc.

So for the second part of the question, I have to find the value of c and terms of v and L

[tex]c = \frac{V}{B} = \frac{vLB}{B} = vL[/tex]

I didnt make any stupid mistakes, did I?

Or you could have done it in a different way and say that in 1s the coil moves vm so that the area swept out in 1s is vLm^2. meaning that dA/dt=-c=vL.

1. What is the purpose of measuring magnetic fields?

The purpose of measuring magnetic fields is to understand the strength and direction of the magnetic field in a given area. This information is important in various fields such as geology, physics, and engineering, as it can help in studying the behavior of magnetic materials and their effects on the environment.

2. What equipment is needed to measure magnetic fields?

To measure magnetic fields, you will need a magnetometer, which is a device that can detect and measure the strength of magnetic fields. Depending on the type of measurement needed, other equipment such as a compass, a gaussmeter, or a magnetoresistive sensor may also be used.

3. How does a simple way to measure magnetic fields work?

A simple way to measure magnetic fields is by using a compass. The needle of a compass aligns with the Earth's magnetic field, allowing you to determine the direction of the magnetic field in your location. Another method is by using a magnet and a magnetometer. The magnet's field will cause a change in the magnetometer's readings, which can be used to calculate the strength of the magnetic field.

4. What are some applications of measuring magnetic fields?

Measuring magnetic fields has various applications, such as in navigation systems, mineral exploration, and medical imaging. It is also used in electronics to test and calibrate magnetic components and in environmental studies to monitor the effects of magnetic fields on living organisms.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when measuring magnetic fields?

Yes, certain safety precautions should be taken when measuring magnetic fields. Strong magnetic fields can interfere with electronic equipment and can be harmful to humans, especially those with pacemakers or other medical devices. It is important to follow safety guidelines and use appropriate equipment when measuring magnetic fields.