How to measure magnetic field of a magnet

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 26K views
Cspeed
Messages
44
Reaction score
0
I have a cylindrical neodymium magnet. I know that the magnetic field varies with distance, but how would I determine the magnetic field B at a certain point, through experimentation? I know how to find the force between two magnets at different distances by balancing out with gravity, but I'm stuck as far as measuring fields. Is there an equation which can relate fields and forces for magnets?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If you want an accurate value you will need to measure the field using e.g. a Hall probe.
Instruments used to measure absolute magnetic field are often called Gaussmeters.
They are however quite expensive.

(a more general name for this type of instruments is magnetometer, although that name can also refer to instruments that measure changes in the magnetic field or relative fields)
 
Then I guess there's no way to do it economically/creatively? What if MacGuyver only had some duct tape, a paper clip, and a magnet and needed to find out the B?