Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to measure magnetic field of a magnet

1. Dec 14, 2008 #1
    I have a cylindrical neodymium magnet. I know that the magnetic field varies with distance, but how would I determine the magnetic field B at a certain point, through experimentation? I know how to find the force between two magnets at different distances by balancing out with gravity, but I'm stuck as far as measuring fields. Is there an equation which can relate fields and forces for magnets?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2008 #2

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you want an accurate value you will need to measure the field using e.g. a Hall probe.
    Instruments used to measure absolute magnetic field are often called Gaussmeters.
    They are however quite expensive.

(a more general name for this type of instruments is magnetometer, although that name can also refer to instruments that measure changes in the magnetic field or relative fields)

4. Dec 14, 2008 #3
    Then I guess there's no way to do it economically/creatively? What if MacGuyver only had some duct tape, a paper clip, and a magnet and needed to find out the B?

5. Mar 19, 2010 #4
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?