Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

''A Slower Speed of Light''

1. Feb 21, 2015 #1

ShayanJ

Gold Member

I just found this interesting game by MIT game lab. It illustrates a world where the speed of light can become comparable to the walking speed of a child by collecting some orbs. So this way you can see relativistic effects directly. I post this thread so we can discuss the game and the effects and maybe the game's accuracy.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2015 #2

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

You'll find it discussed in some older threads here as well. If I remember correctly, the conclusion was that it is reasonably accurate.

4. Feb 21, 2015 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The book, "Mr. Tompkins in Wonderland" by the famous physicist George Gamow, gives an interesting exploration of this (among other things).

5. Feb 21, 2015 #4

berkeman

For example, see the Similar Discussions thread listing at the bottom of your thread page... :smile:

6. Feb 21, 2015 #5

Nugatory

:blushing:

7. May 24, 2015 #6

Borg

Gold Member

I just found the same game while looking up something for another thread. I was going to post on PF about it but a Google search showed me that you beat me to it by a few months. :oldsmile: Looks interesting.

8. May 24, 2015 #7
    s/interesting/inaccurate/ I think ;)

BTW the "game" in the OP hasn't been updated for two years. I think they wanted to drum up some sort of community by calling it "Open Source", but unfortunately they built it atop the closed-source and proprietary Unity game framework. Fail.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook