A spinning top - moment of inertia/ Torque/ Angular momentum

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 7K views
Theknight330
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hey guys,

I have this really annoying last question on my assignment which is a pain. It combines 3 physics principles together.


I am having problems specifically with 2) 3) and 4)

2)I know that T = | r x F |, but what kind of general vector do I use to represent F?
4) I have no clue how to do this one unfortunately.

The question should be in the attached thumbnail
 
Attachments
  • Maths Last Question 001.jpg
    Maths Last Question 001.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 1,054
Physics news on Phys.org
For part b, note that torque is a vector: [tex]\vec{T}=\vec{r}\times m\vec{g}[/tex] as the torque is calculated about the origin. You can express [tex]\vec{r}=d\hat{r}[/tex].

For part c, the problem has already given you the answer. Just plug moment of inertial in.

For part d, again, the problem has already shown you the way. Substitute L and T found earlier in the equation: [tex]\vec{T}=d\vec{L}/dt[/tex]. You have known that the top will rotate around the Y axis beside spinning very fast about its own axis of symmetry (because of this "very fast" spin, we can achieve L as in part c). That means the [tex]\hat{r}[/tex] vector will rotate around the Y axis just like the shaft. If so, then how would you relate [tex]d\hat{r}/dt[/tex] , the angular speed of the rotation about the Y axis [tex]\Omega[/tex] and the vector [tex]\hat{r} \times \hat{g}[/tex]. Note that [tex]\hat{g}[/tex] is only a unit vector whose direction is downward, nothing special. Find [tex]\Omega[/tex] and then the time needed.
 
Nice one Jong trying to get the internet to solve the final question.
 
hey clive this doesn't help at all so stop trying to get the answer from it.