1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A subset in R^n is bounded if and only if it is totally bounded.

1. Jan 7, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that a subset in R^n, where n is a finite number, is bounded if and only if it is totally bounded.

2. Relevant equations
    If A is the subset, A is bounded if there is a point b in R^n such that d(x,b)<= K, for a every x in A.

A is totally bounded if for every e> 0, there is a finite number of ball with radius e, that covers A.

3. The attempt at a solution

totally bounded -> bounded

Chose a number e, there is a finite number P of open balls that cover A, each with radius e.
    Chose an element b in A. s=sup{d(b,l): l is the center of the balls} must exist since we only have finite amount of balls. Then the max distance from b to another point in A is s+e, and hence A is bounded.
    Is this proof correct for this implication?

bounded -> totally bounded
    There is an element in R^n such that for any element x in A d(x,b) <= K, for a real number K.
    I do not see how to proceed here?
    Since Q^n is dense I guess that if we make balls with radius epsilon around every element in R^n that is rational we have a countable number of balls that cover A?, then the problem is to reduce it to a finite number of balls?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2014 #2
    I like your thinking, simply because it shows you're actually thinking about this, but I don't think that will work.

Since ##A## is bounded, can we make ##A\subseteq B_K##, where ##B_K=\{x\in\mathbb{R}^n:d(b,x)\leq K\}##?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted