A taste of Physics and Computer Science

In summary: CS also seems to have a lot more job opportunities than Physics.Is that true?It depends on what you mean by "interesting". In CS, you'll likely learn about algorithms and data structures, which are both relatively interesting topics. However, as far as post-docs go, that's a pretty broad area and there are a lot of interesting research projects in physics as well.It depends on what you mean by "interesting". In CS, you'll likely learn about algorithms and data structures, which are both relatively interesting topics. However, as far as post-docs go, that's a pretty broad area and there are a lot of interesting research projects in physics as well.
Yashbhatt
Hello.

This is a follow up question of this thread:
(https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/confused-between-physics-and-computer-science.884599/page-3)

I have always been interested in Physics since high school but I found first year undergraduate Physics very boring and I think I may have been misled by PopSci articles/videos about what actual Physics is like.

As a result, I am thinking about changing my major to Computer Science. So, can you guys tell me about some concepts or anything(in Physics or CS) that might help me figure out if I will be interested in it at a later stage or not?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, what do you think you know about what higher level physics is like? What are you suspecting PopSci has mislead you about?

TJGilb said:
Well, what do you think you know about what higher level physics is like? What are you suspecting PopSci has mislead you about?

I think it's definitely not as easy at it look and the exciting moments are much less as compared to shown in the media. Also, it involves a hell lot of math.

That I can confirm. Physics is probably the most math intensive discipline outside mathematics itself. And it is certainly very hard. But I'd say it is worth it. Whether or not it is exciting is really up to what interests you. Personally I find learning about how the universe works to be exciting. Though it wouldn't be right to judge off of first year physics before you've even touched quantum, relativity, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism.

TJGilb said:
That I can confirm. Physics is probably the most math intensive discipline outside mathematics itself. And it is certainly very hard. But I'd say it is worth it. Whether or not it is exciting is really up to what interests you. Personally I find learning about how the universe works to be exciting. Though it wouldn't be right to judge off of first year physics before you've even touched quantum, relativity, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism.

Also, I have read that there are very few physics related jobs and most physicists migrate to other fields. Is that true?

Depends on how broadly you define "physics related".

TJGilb said:
Depends on how broadly you define "physics related".
Academia?

Yashbhatt said:
Academia?
What do think you won't get Maths in CS ?
CS is less programming and more Maths.
You can't run from Maths.

Buffu said:
What do think you won't get Maths in CS ?
CS is less programming and more Maths.
You can't run from Maths.

I know that. I don't hate math. I quite like it. But the amount of math in CS is a lot less than Physics.

Yashbhatt said:
Academia?

I can't remember the site, but there are statistics on where Physics grads go after earning their degree. I believe it also depends on whether you go for a PhD or not. But yes, most don't end up in academia, I think somewhere around 20% do.

Can we use this thread as the poster child on why one should never make any serious decision or conclusion based on what one reads in pop-science books?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Can we use this thread as the poster child on why one should never make any serious decision or conclusion based on what one reads in pop-science books?

Zz.

I love how it gets people interested in science, but it definitely misleads people into thinking they know more than they do.

ZapperZ said:

Zz.

To be clear, I actually did read actual books with equations(University Physics, HR etc.) but realized that that much is just the beginning and the road ahead is really long.

Yashbhatt said:
To be clear, I actually did read actual books with equations(University Physics, HR etc.) but realized that that much is just the beginning and the road ahead is really long.

I think you got a wrong idea about CS. If you think Physics is too difficult then the same goes for CS, learning algorithms and data structures is not easy as you think.
Maths in CS is less interesting as compared to Physics.

Buffu said:
I think you got a wrong idea about CS. If you think Physics is too difficult then the same goes for CS, learning algorithms and data structures is not easy as you think.
Maths in CS is less interesting as compared to Physics.

Okay. As per what I read online, interesting things in Physics are only done at the post-doc level while in CS a Bachelors or Masters is enough.

What is the concept of "A taste of Physics and Computer Science"?

The concept of "A taste of Physics and Computer Science" is a course or program that combines the principles and applications of both physics and computer science. It is designed to provide students with a basic understanding of these two fields and how they intersect.

Why is it important to understand both physics and computer science?

Understanding both physics and computer science is important because they are closely connected and have many applications in various industries. For example, understanding the principles of physics is crucial for developing technologies such as computer simulations and virtual reality. On the other hand, computer science is essential for solving complex physics problems and analyzing large amounts of data.

What topics are typically covered in "A taste of Physics and Computer Science"?

Topics covered in "A taste of Physics and Computer Science" may include basic principles of physics such as motion, force, and energy, as well as topics in computer science such as algorithms, coding, and data structures. The course may also explore how these concepts are applied in real-world scenarios, such as in robotics or video game development.

What skills can I gain from taking "A taste of Physics and Computer Science"?

By taking "A taste of Physics and Computer Science", you can gain a variety of skills such as problem-solving, critical thinking, and data analysis. You will also develop a better understanding of how technology and science work together in various fields, which can be valuable in many industries and future academic pursuits.

What are the career opportunities for those with a background in both physics and computer science?

Having a background in both physics and computer science can open up a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as engineering, data science, software development, and research. With the growing demand for technology and data-driven solutions in various industries, individuals with knowledge in both fields are highly sought after and can have promising career prospects.