1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Thermodynamic (supposed to be easy) Problem

1. Sep 15, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A steel tank of cross sectional area 3 m2 and height 16 m weighs 10,000 kg and is open at the top. We want to float it in the ocean so that it is positioned 10 m straight down by pouring concrete into its bottom. How much concrete should we use?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have thought about Potential gravity. I have looked that Waters density is 997 kg/m3. I got this container's ensity (It is 208.33) but I just don't know how to solve it! :) I don't remember much about buoyancy and Bouyancy might be the thing needed here!

Answer is 19910 kg.....Please help! :)
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2010 #2
    ¿you need to have 10 meters down water and 6 up water?

Then you have to put inside the tank same weight as the weight of water evacuated. (Arquimides)

Volume of the tank inside water (section X 10 m) ---> Volume of water evacuated ----> density of water -----> mass of water evacuated = 10000kg of the tank + x kg of concrete

¿It can be?
  4. Sep 15, 2010 #3
    30 m^3 of tank ------> 30 m^3 of water ----- x 997kg/m^3 -----> 29910 kg

Then your tank have to weight 29910; 10000 of the tank and 19910 of the concrete
  5. Sep 17, 2010 #4
    Awesome!! THanks sooo much!! :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook