1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Water, piston-cylinder problem [Thermodynamics]

1. Jan 25, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Okay, so these are usually pretty easy for me to understand, but this one doesn't make sense.

10 kg of water in a piston cylinder arrangement exists as saturated liquid/vapor at 100 kPa, with a quality of 50%. It is now heated so the volume triples. The mass of the piston is such that a cylinder pressure of 200 kPa will float it. Find the final temperature and the heat transfer in the process.

2. Relevant equations
    v = V/m
    v - specific volume
    V - volume
    m - mass

y = yf +xyfg

3. The attempt at a solution

State 1:

m1 = m2 = m = 10kg
    x1 = .5 ---> 2-phase mixture
    P1 = 100 kPa = 1 bar
    v1 = .0010432 m3/kg + (.5)(1.694 - .0010432)
    v1 = .8475 m3/kg

State 2:
    v2 = 3*v1 = 2.5425 m3/kg
    P2 = 200 kPa --> pressure is constant from this point on

Solutions I have found online say that the final temp is in the 800's. How is that possible? I went into my steam tables (Fundamentals of Engineering Thermodynamics, Moran) and I couldn't figure out the state. I assume it is a superheated vapour. Is this right? If so, I go to the tables and the temp could probably be interpolated between 1.5 bar and 3 bar, but even then it's not close to 800. I believe the answer is 827 or 829 degrees C. Thanks for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2016 #2
    What temperature does the ideal gas law give you? (This is a pretty low pressure).

4. Jan 25, 2016 #3
    Thank you! I've always been under the assumption to never use ideal gas for non ideal gases though? This is a first for me. Is there a way to know? Thanks again

5. Jan 25, 2016 #4
    Calculate the reduced pressure and the reduced temperature. Then, see the chart in Moran et al for the Z factor. Or better yet, calculate the pseudo-reduced volume and the reduced pressure and use the Z chart in Moran.

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted