Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A thought on Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle

1. Oct 20, 2011 #1
    Let me first start off by saying that I am somewhat new to physics and it's understanding. But I was looking over the Hiesenberg Uncertainty Princple and a thought occured to me.

The Heisenberg Unvertainty Principle states "More precisely the position is determined, the less precise the momentum is known at this precise moment." However; if it was possible to measure, not the electron itself, but the electron's interferference on fabric of space-time. The position and momentum would be able to be measured at that precise moment.

So imagine how astronomers detect location and movement of planets light-years away. Apply those same mechanics, but at a much smaller scale and only a few inches away.

I may be way off target, but it may be interesting if someone with a much higher understanding delved into it.

If you would like to contact me, about anything else feel free to email at dlinetackle@yahoo.com I quite frequently delve into stuff that is way over my head.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2011 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Ya think?

Read up a bit more on the HUP before you decide that you've come up with an idea that thousands of well-trained and pretty smart physicists have managed to overlook.

4. Oct 21, 2011 #3

DrChinese

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to PhysicsForums, dlinetackle!

Your assessment of the Uncertainty Principle above is inaccurate at a number of levels. Generally, particles do not possess well-defined position and momentum at all times (although there is a little wiggle room on that point, just ask Demystifier). Further, spacetime is distorted by the mass/momentum of a particle, but this distortion could not be determined with sufficient precision to get anything close to what you describe.

As phinds mentions, you should read up on the HUP some more. I would recommend following a few of the many threads on this board on the subject, we tend to discuss it often.

5. Oct 21, 2011 #4
    @ Drchinese, thanks for the eloquent response. I know I don't know enough about it. Thats why I just tossed it out there to see if I was way off base or not.

@ Phinds Just because thousands of people have tried this or that doesn't mean what I have thought about is any less important. Especially to myself. A number of inventions, theories and even a Law or two have been developed through just meandering with the subject. So I appreciate your response, it however; was inadequate in it's effect.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook