Time Dilation: Biologist's Question to Math & Relativity Experts

In summary, the concept of time and space being relative is important to understanding the phenomenon of time dilation. This means that the distance traveled by Mr X and the time elapsed for him are different from the reference frame of Earth. However, the speed of light remains constant in all reference frames. This may seem counterintuitive, but it can be explained using basic algebra and there are many resources available for understanding the basics of Special Relativity.
merwyn
Iam a Microbiologist, not an expert in math and relativity. I have a simple question.

Assumption
Mr 'X' travels to the star 'S'
In Earth reference the star is 5 light years ie 9,500,000,000,000 x 5 Kms from earth
Mr X travels @ 80% of lights speed (80% speed from leaving and reaching back; Immediate acceleration)
In Earth's time Mr X returns after 12.5 (6.25x2) years traveling 9.5^13 Kms
In Mr ' X' clock, Assume, he has returned to Earth in 9 years due to time dilation.
As per Mr 'X' clock, he has traveled only 8.55^13 (9 Years X 9,500,000,000,000 kms)

Question is
1. How can it be?Whether Distance is also relative as time?
2. If Distance is relative, then how can be the speed of light is a constant?

I guess, i have made you to understand my point
Please No mathematics and calculations, Biologists are fools to understand numbers, so use simple terms like "Time runs slow @ higher speed" to explain.

With Regards
Merwyn

Physics news on Phys.org
merwyn said:
As per Mr 'X' clock, he has traveled only 8.55^13 (9 Years X 9,500,000,000,000 kms)
No, in his frame he has not traveled at all - it is the star which has moved. That being said, the star has moved a shorter distance yes. This is called length contraction. Both time and space are relative concepts.
merwyn said:
If Distance is relative, then how can be the speed of light is a constant?
Because time is also relative and velocity is distance per time.

@merwyn, the math needed to understand Special Relativity, which is the topic that covers what you are asking, uses only high school algebra and very little of that and there are many beginner's tutorials on the Internet.

phinds said:
@merwyn, the math needed to understand Special Relativity, which is the topic that covers what you are asking, uses only high school algebra and very little of that and there are many beginner's tutorials on the Internet.
Well, I would say this depends on what you mean by "understand". It is certainly enough to get the very basics though.

For the specific question though, anyone who passed middle school pre-algebra should be able to handle it:

d=s*t

So if s is constant and t changes, d must...?

merwyn said:
Iam a Microbiologist, not an expert in math and relativity. I have a simple question.

Assumption
Mr 'X' travels to the star 'S'
In Earth reference the star is 5 light years ie 9,500,000,000,000 x 5 Kms from earth
Mr X travels @ 80% of lights speed (80% speed from leaving and reaching back; Immediate acceleration)
In Earth's time Mr X returns after 12.5 (6.25x2) years traveling 9.5^13 Kms
In Mr ' X' clock, Assume, he has returned to Earth in 9 years due to time dilation.

Question is
1. How can it be?Whether Distance is also relative as time?
2. If Distance is relative, then how can be the speed of light is a constant?

I guess, i have made you to understand my point
Please No mathematics and calculations, Biologists are fools to understand numbers, so use simple terms like "Time runs slow @ higher speed" to explain.

With Regards
Merwyn

Mr X's traveling method was something like this:
1: Contract the distance to star S
2: Travel the contracted distance
3: Expand the distance
4: Contract the distance to Earth
5: Travel the contracted distance
6: Expand the distance
7: Declare "I traveled 10 light years in 9 years"

Everybody agrees that the clock that measured the time 9 years was shaken, therefore it was not a valid clock, except for the purpose of measuring proper time.

If you want to put it like that, you should do it properly:
jartsa said:
2: Travel the contracted distance
2: Let S and Earth travel the contracted distance.
jartsa said:
5: Travel the contracted distance
5: Let S and Earth travel the contracted distance.
jartsa said:
7: Declare "I traveled 10 light years in 9 years"
7: Declare "I went to that star S 5 light years away in the rest frame of the Earth and the star and I aged 9 years during my trip. Isn't time dilation wonderful?"

1. What is time dilation?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time appears to pass at a slower rate for an observer who is moving at a high velocity or is in a strong gravitational field, compared to an observer who is at rest or in a weaker gravitational field. This concept is a consequence of Einstein's theory of relativity and has been confirmed through numerous experiments.

2. How does time dilation affect biological processes?

Time dilation can affect biological processes by altering the rate at which events occur within living organisms. For example, a person traveling at high speeds in a spacecraft will experience time at a slower rate compared to someone on Earth, meaning their biological processes will also occur at a slower rate. This can have implications for aging and other physiological processes.

3. What is the relationship between time dilation and the speed of light?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. This means that as an object approaches the speed of light, time dilation increases, and time appears to slow down for that object. This relationship is known as the time dilation factor and is given by the formula t' = t / √(1 - v^2/c^2), where t is the time measured by a stationary observer, t' is the time measured by the moving observer, v is the velocity of the moving object, and c is the speed of light.

4. Can time dilation be observed in everyday life?

Yes, time dilation can be observed in everyday life, although the effects are very small at typical velocities and gravitational fields experienced by humans. One example is the Global Positioning System (GPS), which relies on precise timing to function accurately. The satellites in the GPS system experience time dilation due to their high speeds, and this must be corrected for in order for the system to work correctly.

5. How does time dilation impact our understanding of the universe?

Time dilation is a crucial concept in understanding the behavior of the universe on a large scale. It helps explain phenomena such as the slowing down of time near black holes and the expansion of the universe. It also plays a role in our understanding of the Big Bang and the concept of time travel. Without understanding time dilation, our understanding of the universe would be incomplete.