A Transformation Matrix question

In summary, the conversation is discussing finding the transformation matrix 'R' for a rotation of 120 degrees clockwise about an axis from the origin through the point (1,1,1). The transformation is a mapping of vectors within a global coordinate frame. The solution involves swapping axes and mapping the basis vectors to determine the values for the matrix elements.
Saladsamurai

Homework Statement

Find the transformation matrix 'R' that describes a rotation by 120 degrees about an axis from the origin through the point (1,1,1). The rotation is clockwise as you look down the axis toward the origin.

Homework Equations

[tex]
\left( \begin{array}{c} A'_x \\ A'_y \\ A'_z \end{array} \right) =

\left( \begin{array}{ccc}
R_{xx} & R_{xy} & R_{xz} \\
R_{yx} & R_{yy} & R_{yz} \\
R_{zx} & R_{zy} & R_{zz}
\end{array} \right)

\left( \begin{array}{c} A_x \\ A_y \\ A_z \end{array} \right)

[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I am just very confused by the wording of the question. I am used to talking about the transformation of a vector... I am not sure what is being transformed here... the coordinate system?

Here is the solution:

Picture1-43.png

I am having a hard time deciphering the problem statement even looking at the solution. It is clear that he wanted us to "swap" axes. But I am not sure exactly what is happening here.

Physics news on Phys.org
you can imagine it a few different ways, i would think of it as follows:
- The global coordinate frame does not change.
- The operation is a transformation of a vector within that frame (it maps each vector to a vector).

so imagine the line from the origin to (1,1,1)

Now start with the vector (1,0,0), this will be transformed to (0,0,1).

The global co-ordinate frame doesn't change, but a vector on the x-axis is mapped to a vector on the z axis.

By considering the action on each of the basis vectors it shoudl be pretty startightforward to write down the matrix.

1. What is a transformation matrix?

A transformation matrix is a mathematical tool used to represent geometric transformations, such as rotations, translations, and scaling, in a 3D coordinate system. It is a square matrix that contains numerical values that determine how the coordinates of a point will change after the transformation.

2. How is a transformation matrix used in computer graphics?

In computer graphics, a transformation matrix is used to manipulate the position, orientation, and size of objects in a 3D scene. By multiplying the transformation matrix with the coordinates of each point in an object, the resulting coordinates are transformed according to the specified transformation. This allows for smooth and accurate rendering of 3D graphics.

3. Can a transformation matrix be applied to 2D or 4D coordinates?

Yes, a transformation matrix can be applied to both 2D and 4D coordinates. In 2D, the transformation matrix is a 3x3 matrix, while in 4D it is a 4x4 matrix. The additional dimension in 4D allows for more complex transformations, such as shearing and perspective projection.

4. How is a transformation matrix created?

A transformation matrix is created by combining multiple basic transformations, such as rotations, translations, and scaling, into a single matrix using matrix multiplication. The order in which these transformations are applied affects the final result, making it important to understand the matrix multiplication process.

5. What is the inverse of a transformation matrix?

The inverse of a transformation matrix is a matrix that, when multiplied by the original matrix, results in the identity matrix. It is used to "undo" a transformation and bring an object back to its original position and orientation. The inverse of a transformation matrix is found by using mathematical techniques, such as the Gauss-Jordan elimination method.