1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Constraints the elements of the 3D-rotation matrix must satisfy

1. Aug 4, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Taken from "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths p.12 problem 1.8 (b):
    What constraints must the elements [itex]R_{ij}[/itex] of the three-dimensional rotation matrix satisfy, in order to preserve the length of vector A (for all vectors A)?

2. Relevant equations
    The 3D rotation matrix around an arbitrary axis:
    [tex]
    \begin{pmatrix}
    \bar{A_x}\\
    \bar{A_y}\\
    \bar{A_z}\\
    \end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix}
    R_{xx} & R_{xy} & R_{xz}\\
    R_{yx} & R_{yy} & R_{yz}\\
    R_{zx} & R_{zy} & R_{zz}\\
    \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix}
    A_x\\
    A_y\\
    A_z\\
    \end{pmatrix}
    [/tex]
    Thus,
    [itex]\bar{A_i} = \sum_{j=1}^3 R_{ij}A_j[/itex]
    where the index 1 stands for x, 2 for y and 3 for z.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since the length of the vector before and after transformation must be equal:
    [itex]\sum_{i=1}^3 (\bar{A_i})^2 = \sum_{i=1}^3 (A_i)^2[/itex]
    [itex]\sum_{i=1}^3 (\bar{A_i})^2 = \sum_{i=1}^3 (\bar{A_i})(\bar{A_i}) = \sum_{i=1}^3 \left( \sum_{j=1}^3 R_{ij}A_j \right) \left( \sum_{k=1}^3 R_{ik}A_k \right) = \sum_{i=1}^3 (A_i)^2 [/itex]
    The one before the last equality I obtain from substituting the above equation for [itex]\bar{A_i}[/itex] .
    I'm not sure how to proceed from here. I guess that I lack understanding of the summation notation. I tried looking it up but I still can't understand how to continue.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2014 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Google "orthogonal matrix"

4. Aug 4, 2014 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

First thing you should do is learn Einstein's summation convention (Einstein's greatest contribution to physics): repeated indices imply summation. It'll save you a lot of tedious writing. Using this convention, you have
    $$\bar{A}_i \bar{A}_i = (R_{ij}A_j)(R_{ik}A_k).$$ No annoying sigmas to keep writing.

The relationship has to hold for all vectors, so try using ##A = (1, 0, 0)##, for example, to show that the first column of ##R## has to be a unit vector. For other choices of ##A##, you can show that different columns are orthogonal to each other.

5. Aug 5, 2014 #4
    Thanks, I didn't know about these matrices!

Thank you! So if I understand correctly, I just pick 2 convenient vectors like ##\vec{A} = <1,0,0>## and ##\vec{B} = <1,1,0>## and generalize the results I get for all choices? Am I allowed to do it without proving these relations in general?

EDIT: After some more readings I think I finally get it. Thanks again.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted