1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A very annoying current electricity problem

1. Aug 24, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A battery has an emf=6V. The battery is connected in series with an ammeter and a voltmeter. If a certain resistor is connected in parallel with the voltmeter reading decreases by a factor of 3, and the ammeter reading increases by a factor of 3. What is the INITIAL READING V of the voltmeter? All elements of the circuit have unknown internal resistance. Assume the battery doesn't have any internal resistance

2. Relevant equations
    R=VI, V=(r/R)*E,

3. The attempt at a solution
    I keep on going around a circle with this problem. When I start with something I ultimately get nothing but whatever I found earlier. Every time the V(initial) cancels out. May be there is some maths trick. I don't know.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2010 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Draw the circuit diagrams and write out the expressions for the current and voltage readings before and after connecting the resistor. Show your work.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook