A very annoying current electricity problem

In summary, a battery with an emf of 6V is connected in series with an ammeter and voltmeter. When a resistor is connected in parallel with the voltmeter, the voltmeter reading decreases by a factor of 3 and the ammeter reading increases by a factor of 3. The initial reading of the voltmeter is unknown. The equations R = VI and V = (r/R)*E may be used, but the internal resistance of all elements in the circuit is unknown and the battery is assumed to have no internal resistance. The problem involves finding the initial voltmeter reading by drawing the circuit diagrams and writing out the expressions for current and voltage readings before and after connecting the resistor.
Swap

Homework Statement

A battery has an emf=6V. The battery is connected in series with an ammeter and a voltmeter. If a certain resistor is connected in parallel with the voltmeter reading decreases by a factor of 3, and the ammeter reading increases by a factor of 3. What is the INITIAL READING V of the voltmeter? All elements of the circuit have unknown internal resistance. Assume the battery doesn't have any internal resistance

Homework Equations

R=VI, V=(r/R)*E,

The Attempt at a Solution

I keep on going around a circle with this problem. When I start with something I ultimately get nothing but whatever I found earlier. Every time the V(initial) cancels out. May be there is some maths trick. I don't know.

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw the circuit diagrams and write out the expressions for the current and voltage readings before and after connecting the resistor. Show your work.

ehild

1. What is a current electricity problem?

A current electricity problem is an issue that occurs in an electric circuit when the flow of electricity is disrupted or altered, resulting in a malfunction or failure of the circuit.

2. What causes current electricity problems?

Current electricity problems can be caused by various factors, such as faulty wiring, damaged components, and overloading of the circuit. It can also be caused by external factors like power surges or lightning strikes.

3. How do I know if I have a current electricity problem?

Signs of a current electricity problem include flickering lights, appliances not working properly, or tripping circuit breakers. You may also notice burning smells or unusual noises coming from your electrical system.

4. Can I fix a current electricity problem on my own?

Unless you have a background in electrical work, it is not recommended to try and fix a current electricity problem on your own. It can be dangerous and may require specialized knowledge and tools. It is best to hire a licensed electrician to diagnose and fix the issue.

5. How can I prevent current electricity problems?

To prevent current electricity problems, it is important to regularly inspect and maintain your electrical system. This includes checking for damaged wiring, avoiding overloading circuits, and using surge protectors. It is also important to hire a professional electrician for any major electrical work or upgrades.