1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A circuit question involving internal resistances

1. Aug 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A battery has an emf of 6v. The battery is connected in series with an ammeter and a voltmeter.If a certain resistor is connected in parallel with the voltmeter,the voltmeter reading decreases by a factor of 3,and the ammeter reading increases by the sme factor. What is the initial reading V of the voltmeter? All elements except battery in the circuit have unknown internal resistances

2. The attempt at a solution
    R3 is the resistor that is connected in parallel with the voltmeter.
    I also use R1,R2 to represent internal resistances of voltmeter and ammeter which i assume are resistors connected in series to the voltmeter and ammeter.(ammeter then measures current flowing through R2 while voltmeter measures pd across R1 or R3)

I tried to construct equations using basic rules about resistors connected in series or parallel,after solving some (overly complex) equations,i had V=4.8v while the answer is v=4.5v

I also tried to use Kirchhoff's rules to solve,but it did not work out.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2012 #2
    Can you post your equations? I was able to get 4.5V using voltage divider, KCL, and ohms law (x2).

I really just started writing equations until something popped out at me - then I had an idea where to go!

4. Aug 22, 2012 #3
    I simplified my equations and now i can get the correct answer of 4.5v
    my equations are as follows
    assume R1//R3 is r

IR1+IR2=6V
    3IR2+3Ir=6V
    solve these to get R1-2R2=3r

one more equation:
    IR1=3(3I)r → R1=9r

so R1=3R1-6R2
    R1=3R2

therefore IR1=4.5V

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook