A very small object following Earth in the same orbit

• I
  • Thread starter Michaela SJ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Earth Orbit
In summary, the conversation discusses the discovery of an object in the same orbit as Earth, potentially at a libration point. The object is not in danger of colliding with Earth and could potentially be a remnant of a space vehicle. There are also mentions of other objects in similar orbits, such as Jupiter Trojans, and the stability of libration points.
Michaela SJ
A bunch of years ago, I read about a very small object following Earth in the same orbit, but not in any danger of collision with Earth (at least in the next few billion years).

Anyone know about the object. I have done a search but cannot find any reference to what I think I read about?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Thanks to both of you. I am absolutely certain the article I am trying to find was not about a space vehicle remnant.

The description of 2010 TK7 meets my estimated time frame but my recollection is slightly different (and likely wrong :frown:). I remember the object as being in the 'same' orbit. [Repeat] (and likely wrong :frown:)

Michaela SJ said:
The description of 2010 TK7 meets my estimated time frame but my recollection is slightly different (and likely wrong :frown:). I remember the object as being in the 'same' orbit. [Repeat] (and likely wrong :frown:)
It is in the same orbit as the Earth ... what made you think it wasn't ?

davenn said:
It is in the same orbit as the Earth
...from a certain point of view. I guess Michaela's recollection stems from a simplified press note about the first Earth Trojan. It is not that coorbital objects stay in any given point – more than 7000 known Jupiter Trojans couldn't fit into two Lagrange points on the planet's orbit. They appear to orbit these points instead, following tadpole and horseshoe-shaped trajectories, and some even circle the planets outside the Hill sphere, mimicking true moons. Check https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/(469219)_2016_HO3 as an example of not-the-second-moon of Earth.

Likes Bandersnatch
Ratman said:
...from a certain point of view.
no, not at all
Ratman said:
more than 7000 known Jupiter Trojans
we are not talking about 1000's of objects, just 1 object

@davenn @Ratman makes valid points. He highlights that objects never stay exactly at the libration points (hence their name). He gives Jupiter's Trojans as an example. Each one of them oscillates around the L4 and L5 points, forming a dynamic cloud. Still, they'd be normally referred to as 'being at the libration points', or 'sharing Jupiter's orbit' - even though neither is literally true. So it's quite likely the OP heard of 2010 TK7 as being in the same orbit. Whereas by looking at the animations on the Wiki page one can get the impression that this crazy-looking trajectory cannot mean that the orbits are the same.

Last edited:
Weird thing about L4 and L5 libration points is that they are stable equilibria, despite the fact they are the maxima of effective potential. So it is not that they attract any object like a gravity well. The stability (in a rotating frame) comes from the fact that while any perturbation displaces the test particle from the exact location of the libration point, the displacement also results in Coriolis force putting the particle into stable orbit around it.

Last edited:

1. What is a very small object following Earth in the same orbit?

A very small object following Earth in the same orbit is called a satellite. Satellites are man-made objects that orbit around a planet or other celestial body.

2. How does a satellite stay in the same orbit as Earth?

A satellite stays in the same orbit as Earth due to the balance between its forward motion and the pull of Earth's gravity. This allows the satellite to continuously circle around the planet without falling back to Earth.

3. What is the purpose of a satellite following Earth in the same orbit?

Satellites have a variety of purposes, including communication, navigation, weather monitoring, and scientific research. They provide valuable data and information that is used for various purposes on Earth.

4. How does a satellite affect Earth's orbit?

Since satellites are much smaller than Earth, they do not significantly affect Earth's orbit. However, the presence of satellites can slightly alter the Earth's gravitational pull on other objects in space.

5. How do scientists track and communicate with satellites following Earth in the same orbit?

Scientists use ground stations and tracking systems to communicate with satellites. These systems send and receive signals to and from the satellite, allowing scientists to monitor its position and send commands to control its orbit or functions.