A weird sentence in my book Need clarifcation

• Thread starter ehabmozart
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book Weird
In summary, this text discusses how the mass of a new particle created by fusion is less than the combined masses of the particles before fusion.
ehabmozart
It is written in my book under the sub-heading Nuclear Fusion... "If we take some light nuclei and force them to join together, the mass of the new HEAVIER nucleus will be LESS than the consistuent parts, as some mass is converted into energy... This is completely contradicting... Is it actually heavier or lighter... If any of them , why have they written both?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi ehabmozart! :smile:

i don't see the contradiction :confused:

if two H nuclei fuse to make an He nucleus,

then the mass of the He is less than twice the mass of an H …

the "missing" mass has become energy, which is radiated off :smile:

As tiny-tim said, the mass of the new particle after fusion will be less than the combined masses of the particles before fusion. The missing mass has been liberated as energy from the reaction. The amount of energy released depends on the amount of nuclear binding energy of the particles before and after fusion. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_binding_energy

ehabmozart said:
It is written in my book under the sub-heading Nuclear Fusion... "If we take some light nuclei and force them to join together, the mass of the new HEAVIER nucleus will be LESS than the consistuent parts, as some mass is converted into energy... This is completely contradicting... Is it actually heavier or lighter... If any of them , why have they written both?

We often refer to some elements as being heavier or lighter than others, when what we mean is that a SINGLE nucleus of one element will be heavier than a SINGLE nucleus of the other.

Using that definition, we say that fusion combines multiple light nuclei into a single heavier one (just as fission splits a single heavier nucleus into multiple lighter ones). And it's possible that the sum of the masses of all the lighter nuclei we're fusing together will exceed the mass of the single heavier nucleus that results - it's heavier than anyone of the constituents but not all of them.

ehabmozart said:

E = mc^2 The excess mass is released as energy. It's what makes a H-bomb a bomb.

It's the power in nuclear fusion.

The new heavier nucleus doesn't stay heavy for very long - it releases the excess mass as energy - think of a blinding flash and a mushroom cloud.

ehabmozart said:
The new nucleus is much heavier than the individual light nucleii that were initially separate. However, The new nucleus is lighter than the group of light nucleii. In other words:
Let M_Fused be the mass of the new nucleus after fusion.
Let m_1, m_2,..., m_N be the masses of the light nucleii before fusion.
M_Fused>m_i for any value of i between 1 and N.
M_Fused<m_1+m_2+m_3+...+m_N
Of course, the amount of energy, E_Fusion, given off by the fusion is:
E_Fusion=(m_1+m_2+m_3+...+m_N-M_Fused)c^2

Boom!

A weird sentence in my book

Well, that one seems absolutely correct, but you may well find a sentence or two sometime,somewhere that isn't. So it's a good idea to ask, even classmates, because most texts are edited by experts to eliminate any errors and clarify explanations to make them as clear as possible. On the other other hand, some correct explanations ARE,well, weird. See my signature below.

1. What makes the sentence in your book weird?

The sentence may be considered weird because it does not follow traditional grammar or syntax rules, or because it is confusing or nonsensical in its meaning.

2. Can you provide an example of the weird sentence?

Yes, here is the sentence in question: "The purple elephant danced on the moon while eating a sandwich made of clouds."

3. Is the weird sentence intentional or a mistake?

This would depend on the context of the sentence in the book. If it is part of a work of fiction or poetry, it may be intentional to add creativity or symbolism. If it is a non-fiction book, it may be a mistake or typo.

4. Will the weird sentence affect the overall meaning of the book?

Again, this would depend on the context of the sentence and the genre of the book. In some cases, the weird sentence may add depth or meaning to the overall message of the book. In others, it may not have any significant impact on the overall meaning.

5. How can I clarify the meaning of the weird sentence?

If you are the author of the book, you can provide further explanation or context in the following sentences or chapters. If you are a reader, you can discuss the sentence with others or reach out to the author for clarification.