1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

About an example related to angular momentum in a textbook

1. Mar 10, 2012 #1
    Hey I either have the worst physics textbook in the history of physic textbooks or i can't understand a topic.I'd appreciate if you help me decide which is it.
    (Pic related is the image of the example)
    First let's agree on the symbols lets call angular velocity: [itex]\omega = \frac{rxv}{||r||^2}[/itex] , angular momentum [itex]L=rxmv[/itex] and Lineal Momentum:[itex]P=mv[/itex]. Being that defined, the book attemps to proof that [itex]L[/itex] and [math]\omega[/math] have generally different directions, here is the first problem i encountered, for what i know [itex]m||r||^2\omega = L[/itex] being [itex]m||r||^2[/itex] That means that Angular Velocity and Angular Momentum are parallel therefore have the same direction, the example proceed as following: 2 puntual mass are united by a rigid bar of despicable mass, therefore both have the same angular momentum. the momentum of body 1 is [itex]L_1 = r_1xm_1v_1[/itex] and it explicitly say that it's easy to see that it's contained in the plane given by [itex]P_1 P_2 \omega[/itex] (which i fail to see) being the direction perpendiculat to the line that unites [itex]P_1[/itex] with [itex]P_2[/itex] and that [itex]L_2[/itex] Has the same direction that [itex]L_1[/itex]. Therefore the Angular Impulse make an angle of [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}-\alpha[/itex] with the axis of rotation([itex]\omega[/itex]). Well that'd be an example i'd really appreciate if someone can clarify my doubts, i don't have a teacher to ask since i study by my own.
    Here is a picture of the example:
    2012-03-10 22.09.43.jpg

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted