Angular momentum of a disk about an axis parallel to center of mass axis

In summary: As a result, the angular velocity ##\omega## will be smaller than ##\omega_{a}## In summary, the formula for solving the problem involving angular momentum is given by $$ L_a= L_c + \text { (angular momentum of a particle at C of mass M)}$$ Because the point C is at rest relative to point A, the second term in the right-hand side of the equation is zero. This means that the angular momentum about A is the same as the angular momentum about its center of mass C. Additionally, the angular velocity of the disk about A axis is not the same as the angular velocity about its C axis, as the angle between the two axes will generally not be equal. As the distance between
vcsharp2003
Homework Statement
A uniform disk of mass M and radius R is rotating at an angular velocity of ##\omega## about it's center C. What is the angular momentum of the disk about an axis passing through A and perpendicular to the plane of disk.
Relevant Equations
##I_c=\frac {MR^2} {2}##
##\vec L = I \vec {\omega}##
I am using the following formula to solve this problem.
$$ L_a= L_c + \text { (angular momentum of a particle at C of mass M)}$$
Because the point C is at rest relative to point A, so the second term in RHS of above equation is zero. Hence, the angular momentum about A is same as angular momentum about it's center of mass C.

$$\therefore L_a = \frac{MR^2}{2} ~ \omega$$.

I am not sure if above conclusion is correct.

IMG_20220601_175235__01.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
It is correct. You can show formally that the angular momentum of an object about an arbitrary point P is the angular momentum about the object's center of mass plus the angular momentum of the center mass about point P. Here, the latter term is zero as you noted.

Likes vcsharp2003
kuruman said:
It is correct. You can show formally that the angular momentum of an object about an arbitrary point P is the angular momentum about the object's center of mass plus the angular momentum of the center mass about point P. Here, the latter term is zero as you noted.
Since ##L = I \omega##, can we say that the angular velocity of the disk about A axis is same as the angular velocity about it's C axis i.e. ##\omega_{a} = \omega##?

vcsharp2003 said:
Since ##L = I \omega##, can we say that the angular velocity of the disk about A axis is same as the angular velocity about it's C axis i.e. ##\omega_{a} = \omega##?
The angular velocity is the range of change of angle with respect to time. In this case consider angle
##\theta## formed by a reference line, say along the horizontal and the line from C to a point P on the disk that rotates with it. Then you can say that ##\omega_0=\frac{d\theta}{dt}##. Now draw a line from A to P. That line forms angle ##\phi## relative to the horizontal and the angular velocity of P (not of the disk) will be ##\omega=\frac{d\phi}{dt}##. You have to show that ##\omega=\omega_0## for any point P on the disk.

Likes vcsharp2003
kuruman said:
The angular velocity is the range of change of angle with respect to time. In this case consider angle
##\theta## formed by a reference line, say along the horizontal and the line from C to a point P on the disk that rotates with it. Then you can say that ##\omega_0=\frac{d\theta}{dt}##. Now draw a line from A to P. That line forms angle ##\phi## relative to the horizontal and the angular velocity of P (not of the disk) will be ##\omega=\frac{d\phi}{dt}##. You have to show that ##\omega=\omega_0## for any point P on the disk.
In general, the angle ##\theta## and ##\phi## will not be equal, so the two angular velocities would have different magnitudes.

vcsharp2003 said:
In general, the angle ##\theta## and ##\phi## will not be equal, so the two angular velocities would have different magnitudes.
Yes. You can see that as the distance between A and C becomes larger, the change of angle ##\phi## with respect to time will become smaller.

Likes vcsharp2003

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the rotational motion of an object around an axis. It is a vector quantity that takes into account the mass, velocity, and distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How is angular momentum calculated?

The angular momentum of a disk about an axis parallel to its center of mass axis is calculated by multiplying the mass of the disk by its velocity and the distance from the axis of rotation. This can be represented by the formula L = mvr, where L is angular momentum, m is mass, v is velocity, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation.

3. What is the unit of angular momentum?

The unit of angular momentum is kilogram meters squared per second (kg·m^2/s).

4. How does the angular momentum of a disk change?

The angular momentum of a disk can change when there is a net torque acting on the disk. Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate, and it can change the direction or magnitude of the angular momentum of a disk.

5. What is the conservation of angular momentum?

The conservation of angular momentum states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant in the absence of external torques. This means that if there are no external forces acting on a disk, its angular momentum will remain constant.