About Feynman rules for an external field

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Feynman rules in studying external fields in QFT. An external field is represented by an external line and has an overall factor and orientation. The contribution of the scattering of a specific photon can be averaged over its polarization and imposed on the momenta. The amplitude is multiplied by the Fourier transformation of the external field at the 4-momentum value that conserves 4-momentum for the entire process. Different metrics and definitions of the Fourier transform may affect the formula.
Sleuth
Hi everybody, I'm new.
I'm approaching to QFT in these months and I have a couple of questions about Feynman rules.
The most of the books I have read (or tried to) explain feynman rules telling what you have to do when you have an internal or external line in a graph, and when you have a vertex, but I wasn't able to find a complete treatment and justification of what you have to do when you consider an external field.
For example what happens when I want to study the scattering of an electron with an external electric of magnetic field? Let's say we are in QED: do I simply have to multiply the vertex for the external field (say ieA^\mu \gamma_mu)? and why? do I have to integrate over the momenta of the external fields? can I use the conservation of momenta on the modified vertex in the same way?
I understand that maybe this is a really trivial question, but I would like to find someone explaining this in a complete and not-misleading way.
Thank you all
S.

Physics news on Phys.org
An external field is represented by an external line. It is an incoming photon and it carries some momentum and polarization. As with all external lines, you label the line with a momentum [tex]p[/tex] and a spin [tex]s[/tex] (it will then hit some vertex where stuff like momentum conservation is imposed). They also contribute an overall factor: the line is external so there is some incoming and outcoming orientation, the polarization of the vector (notation: [tex]\epsilon_\mu(k)[/tex]).

See for instance Griffiths - Introduction to Elementary particles, chapter 7.6 and example 7.4.

Note that this is the contribution of the scattering of a very specific photon (carrying momentum p and a polarization). We can average over the polarization, and impose some distribution on the momenta p - this gives a more realistic description of the external field.

I think you just multiply the amplitude with the Fourier transformation of the external field, taken at the 4-momentum value that conserves 4-momentum for the entire process. So if you have an incoming electron with momentum p, and outgoing electron with momentum p', then you would multiply your amplitude by A(p-p') or A(p'-p). Which one I think depends on your choice of metric, (+1,-1-1-1) or (-1,+1,+1,+1), and also how you define the Fourier transform of the external field (whether your formula is integral of A(q)e^(-iqx) or integral of A(q)e^(+iqx).

1. What are Feynman rules for an external field?

Feynman rules for an external field are a set of mathematical rules used in quantum field theory to calculate the probability of interactions between particles in the presence of an external field. These rules were developed by physicist Richard Feynman and are used to simplify complex calculations in quantum field theory.

2. How do Feynman rules for an external field work?

Feynman rules for an external field involve assigning mathematical values to each possible interaction between particles and the external field. These values are then used in a diagrammatic representation to calculate the probability of the interaction occurring. The final result is obtained by summing up all possible diagrams.

3. What is the importance of Feynman rules for an external field in particle physics?

Feynman rules for an external field are an essential tool in particle physics as they allow for the calculation of probabilities for particle interactions in the presence of an external field. This is crucial in understanding the behavior of particles in different physical situations and predicting their behavior in experiments.

4. Are there any limitations to Feynman rules for an external field?

While Feynman rules for an external field are a powerful tool in quantum field theory, they do have limitations. They can only be applied to systems with a finite number of particles and interactions, and they do not take into account the effects of quantum corrections. In some cases, more advanced techniques such as perturbation theory may be needed to obtain more accurate results.

5. How are Feynman rules for an external field different from Feynman diagrams?

Feynman rules for an external field are a set of mathematical rules used to calculate the probability of particle interactions in the presence of an external field. In contrast, Feynman diagrams are graphical representations of these rules, making them easier to visualize and understand. While both are closely related, Feynman rules are the underlying mathematical principles, while Feynman diagrams are a visual aid for calculations.