QED - ordering of Feynman diagram rules

In summary, the conversation discusses the order in which Feynman diagrams are read and how this relates to the matrix structure of the Dirac equation. It is mentioned that the order is implied by the Feynman diagram, with arrows indicating the direction of charge flow for charged particles. The conversation also mentions a trick for writing the correct order when unsure. Finally, there is a discussion about the placement of indices in the vertex factor, with the conclusion that the outgoing arrow should match the index "a" and the incoming arrow should match the index "b."
tomdodd4598
TL;DR Summary
The ordering of the terms in a Feynman diagram can change its value. Which order is the right one?
Hey there,

In QED, we often have Feynman diagrams involving various numbers of non-commuting components, such as for the one-loop vertex correction (Peskin & Schroeder, page 189):
1599374004787.png

The diagram this integral corresponds to is:
1599374051830.png

How do we choose which order to put the propagators and vertex factors in? P & S chose this way, but when I tried to work it out before checking with the textbook, I had ##{ \gamma }^{ \mu }## at the front of the expression (corresponding to the vertex at the 'tree-level' position), followed by the ##{ k }^{ ' }## propagator, and looping around counter-clockwise (I used a ##k-p## photon propagator), which led to me being at least a factor of two out, in particular on the term with quadratic numerator.

Physics news on Phys.org
The order is implied by the Feynman diagram. In the electron-positron lines you have to read the diagram "against the direction of arrows". For photon lines the direction doesn't matter, because the propagator is symmetric. That's of course, because the electrons/positrons are charged and that's why you have arrows on thir lines which indicate the direction of charge flow while photons are uncharged and thus there's no arrow on their lines.

Actually, all the problem with the order comes because of the matrix structure of the Dirac equation, if you have problems with that, I always recommend to write everything in components, then everything commutes and you have no problems, this means to adapt the Feynman rules to be:
  • For an incoming electron: ##u_a(p)## where ##a## is a Dirac index.
  • For an outgoing electron: ##\bar{u}_a(p)## where ##a## is a Dirac index.
  • For the electron propagator: ##\frac{i(\not{p}_{ab}+m)}{(p^2-m^2+i\epsilon)}## where the arrow in the propagator must go from index ##b## to index ##a##.
  • For the vertex: ##-ie\gamma^\mu_{ab}## where the index ##a## must math the incoming arrow and ##b## the outgoing.
Then, you must sum over Dirac indices that "touch" each other, so the expression in Peskin's Book, could be written as you said
$$\int \frac{d^4 k}{(2\pi)^4} \gamma^\mu_{cd}\frac{i(\not{k}'_{bc}+m)}{(k'^2-m^2+i\epsilon)}\frac{-i g_{\nu\rho}}{(k-p)^2+i\epsilon}\frac{i(\not{k}_{de}+m)}{(k^2-m^2+i\epsilon)}\bar{u}_a(p')u_f(p)(-ie\gamma^\nu_{ab})(-ie\gamma^\rho_{ef})$$
Where repeated index are, of course, summed.
The indices are chosen following
An Example Diagram.png

You can see by yourself that, if you want to order the elements in such a way that you can express this sum as a matrix multiplication (remember ##(AB)_{ij}=A_{ik}B_{kj}##) you need to order the terms following the fermion line "backwards".
Of course, you must learn to write the correct order without thinking, but while you are learning, you can use this trick in case of doubt.

Likes dextercioby, JD_PM and vanhees71
Gaussian97 said:
  • For the electron propagator: ##\frac{i(\not{p}_{ab}+m)}{(p^2-m^2+i\epsilon)}## where the arrow in the propagator must go from index ##b## to index ##a##.
  • For the vertex: ##-ie\gamma^\mu_{ab}## where the index ##a## must math the incoming arrow and ##b## the outgoing.
Ah ha, this is the thing that I didn't know about - thanks! I'm guessing this is apparent when actually determining what the Feynman rules are by starting at the Dyson expansion?

Also, is it that "the index ##a## must math the incoming arrow and ##b## the outgoing" for the vertex ##-ie\gamma^\mu_{ab}##, or the other way round? With the former, I get two indices of the same type in the same position - for example, with your diagram labels, I'm getting ##\gamma^\mu_{dc}## rather than ##\gamma^\mu_{cd}##.

Last edited:
As I said, you have to read the Feynman diagrams in the order opposite to the direction of the arrows indicating the current direction. As correctly drawn in #3 in the corresponding vertex the Dirac index ##a## is at the electron-positron leg pointing out of the vertex. As an external line this leg can either mean an outgoing electron ("particle") or an incoming positron ("antiparticle"), depending on which scattering process you want to describe.

On the other vertex it should thus indeed be ##\gamma_{cd}^{\mu}##, because ##c## is on the outgoing and ##d## on the incoming leg of the vertex.

tomdodd4598 said:
Also, is it that "the index ##a## must math the incoming arrow and ##b## the outgoing" for the vertex ##-ie\gamma^\mu_{ab}##, or the other way round? With the former, I get two indices of the same type in the same position - for example, with your diagram labels, I'm getting ##\gamma^\mu_{dc}## rather than ##\gamma^\mu_{cd}##.
Yes, you're right, my mistake, in ##-ie\gamma_{ab}##, the index ##a## match the outgoing arrow and the index ##b## match the incoming arrow.

No worries - thanks very much to you both for your detailed help! I grow more and more amazed at how people like Freeman Dyson were able to understand where Feynman’s diagrams came from...

Likes PhDeezNutz

1. What is QED?

QED stands for Quantum Electrodynamics, which is a branch of physics that studies the interactions between electrically charged particles and electromagnetic fields.

2. What are Feynman diagram rules?

Feynman diagram rules are a set of mathematical rules used to represent and calculate the interactions between particles in quantum field theory. They were developed by physicist Richard Feynman and are used to visualize and calculate the probability of particle interactions.

3. What is the ordering of Feynman diagram rules?

The ordering of Feynman diagram rules refers to the specific sequence in which the rules are applied in order to calculate the probability of particle interactions. This sequence includes determining the initial and final states, identifying the relevant Feynman diagrams, and calculating the amplitude using the Feynman rules.

4. How are Feynman diagrams used in QED?

Feynman diagrams are used in QED to represent the interactions between particles and to calculate the probability of these interactions occurring. They provide a visual representation of complex mathematical equations and make it easier to understand and analyze particle interactions.

5. Why is the ordering of Feynman diagram rules important?

The ordering of Feynman diagram rules is important because it ensures that the calculations are done correctly and accurately reflect the probability of particle interactions. Following the correct sequence of rules also helps to avoid errors and inconsistencies in the calculations.