Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical About lead and mercury

1. Oct 11, 2007 #1
    Hey everyone,

I have a question about lead and mercury poisoning in the human body. What actually happens in the human body that causes lead and mercury to be poisonous?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2007 #2
    I'm no expert, but i think mercury ions affect the cell membrane struture of developing neurons.
    i saw a very informatiove clip on mercury neurotoxicity from the university of calgary,

This isn't an easy topic, it depends who you speak to. Ask a drug company, they'll agree that it is highly neurotoxic, but in small doses is harmless (becuase they put it in vaccines), but some scientists say that mercury has the capability to build up in a person, so i'm not sure what to believe about mercury these days. The establishment opinion is that in very small doses its ok.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  4. Oct 12, 2007 #3

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

5. Oct 13, 2007 #4
    ok i know its a heavy element that is desipated in the cell membrane so the cell can't face this damage and can't remove it from it's membrane ,

specially in the brain cells and lungs cells ...,
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?