About LEDs technical question - very hard to solve

• Thread starter M.Caffery
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hard Leds
In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between room temperature aging attenuation and 85 degree/85% RH aging attenuation in a COB product with FR-4 substrate. After 1000 hours of lighting, the room temperature aging attenuation is 7%, while the 85 degree/85% RH aging attenuation is only 1%. The possibility is raised that heat may heal some damage, such as aiding electron flow in insulators, and that high temperature and humidity may affect the phosphor and colloid, potentially lowering the possibility of attenuation caused by the phosphor. The speaker also offers to answer any further questions about how the experiment was conducted.
M.Caffery
In a COB product with FR-4 substrate, blue light chip excites yellow phosphor to form white light.
Why is room temperature aging attenuation higher than 85 degree/85% RH aging attenuation?
(After 1000h lighting, Attr=7% while Att85=1%)

(If you have further questions about how I do the experiment, ask me here)

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd suppose heat heals some damage. For instance when hot electrons are injected into insulators, heat helps the electrons flow back.

Enthalpy said:
I'd suppose heat heals some damage. For instance when hot electrons are injected into insulators, heat helps the electrons flow back.

Good thought!
I was thinking whether high temperature and humidity affects phosphor and colloid so that the possibility of attenuation caused by phosphor might be lowered.

1. What are LEDs and how do they work?

LEDs, or light-emitting diodes, are semiconductor devices that convert electrical energy into light. They work by using a semiconductor material, usually made of silicon, that emits photons when an electric current passes through it.

2. What makes LEDs more efficient than traditional light sources?

Unlike traditional incandescent or fluorescent bulbs, LEDs do not use a filament or gas to produce light. This means that they do not waste energy as heat, making them much more energy-efficient.

3. What is the color temperature of LEDs and why is it important?

The color temperature of an LED refers to the color of light that it produces, which is measured in Kelvin (K). It is important because it can affect the mood and ambiance of a space, as well as the color accuracy of objects under the light.

4. Can LEDs be dimmed?

Yes, many LED lights are dimmable. However, not all dimmers are compatible with LED lights, so it is important to check the specifications of both the dimmer and the LED light before attempting to dim them.

5. What are the main challenges in solving technical issues with LEDs?

One of the main challenges in solving technical issues with LEDs is the complexity of their design and manufacturing process. Each component, from the semiconductor chip to the housing and wiring, must be carefully engineered and tested to ensure optimal performance and reliability. Additionally, understanding and optimizing the thermal management of LEDs is crucial for their long-term functionality and efficiency.