1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering About Product and Test Engineering (in chip company)

1. Sep 20, 2012 #1
    I want to know how prospective is the field of PTE (Product and Test Engineering) compared to IC Design Engineers? What good may lie in future in this field?

Also, how much digital/logic related work vs. analog work is done in PTE?

Thank You

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2012 #2

phyzguy

Science Advisor

I worked in the IC field for many years. Given the continued growth of electronics, there should be good job prospects in both IC design and PTE for some time. I no longer work in the field, but my friends who do tell me the job prospects today are good. PTE typically includes both analog and digital aspects. As on-chip integration increases, more and more chips have both analog and digital content, so it would be good to be comfortable with both.

4. Sep 20, 2012 #3
    thanks phyzguy. But what I want to know is the nature of work in PTE. Like whether they use analog knowledge to design test circuits, connect chip and test them etc. OR whether they write digital testbenches in verilog, use programming skills, work in logic/abstract domain.

Actually, I'm weak in digital/logic design/test domain. :D So, I wanna avoid digital work. ;)

5. Sep 20, 2012 #4

phyzguy

Science Advisor

My experience was that much of the work was writing test programs and analyzing test results in order to improve chip yields. I'm not sure you can do electronics these days and 'avoid digital work'. Maybe there are still some pure analog chips, but I think it's a niche. Anyone else Have an opinion?

6. Sep 27, 2012 #5
    i did have an internship in PTE and just like @phyzguy said, basically your job is to improve chip yields,
    beside you're going to familiar with writing test programs,you will get new knowledge in testing concept, and you'll get a lot of analog things there,

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook