Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

About the coherent topology wiki page

1. Feb 11, 2009 #1

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

On the wiki page on coherent topology, and more precisely, topological union (aka topology generated by a collection of spaces) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coherent_topology#Topological_union), it is said that if the generating spaces {X_i} satisfy the compatibility condition that for each i,j, the subspace topologies induced on [itex]X_i\cap X_j[/itex] by X_i and X_j are the same, then the inclusion maps [itex]\iota_i:X_i\rightarrow \cup_iX_i[/itex] are topological embeddings (i.e. homeomorphisms onto their images).

Is this true??? I tried proving it but without success but could not find a counter example either.

For instance, CW-complexes are the topological union of their n-skeletons. Is it always true that the inclusion of a n-skeleton into the CW-complex is a topological embedding?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2010 #2
    It's not true; in the case of CW complexes, you need an additional condition that [itex]X_i \cap X_j[/itex] is closed in [itex]X_i[/itex] for each i, j. Counterexample (due to my officemate Scott Van Thuong):

Take a triangle [itex]\Delta ABC[/itex], and let [itex]X_1 = \overline{AB}[/itex], [itex]X_2 = \overline{BC}[/itex], and [itex]X_3 = \overline{CA}[/itex]. Give [itex]X_1[/itex] the Euclidean topology, and give both [itex]X_2[/itex] and [itex]X_3[/itex] the indiscrete topology. Let [itex]X[/itex] denote the whole triangle with the coherent topology. Now take an open neighborhood [itex]U[/itex] in [itex]X_1[/itex] with [itex]A \in U[/itex] but [itex]B \not \in U[/itex]. If the inclusion [itex]X_1 \hookrightarrow X[/itex] were an embedding, there would exist some open set [itex]V \subseteq X[/itex] with [itex]U = V \cap X_1[/itex]. Since V contains B, it must contain all of [itex]X_2[/itex]; therefore [itex]C \in V[/itex]. Since V contains C, it must contain all of [itex]X_3[/itex]; in particular, it contains A. But this contradicts the assumption.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook