Trivial topology on an arbitrary set?

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of a topology and its properties, as well as the concept of open sets and their relation to topology. The participants also share their personal experiences and difficulties with understanding topology. One of the main points made is that open sets are named as such due to their relevance in the usual topology on \mathbb{R}.
muppet
I've just started looking at Rudin (Real and complex analysis, the big one) in which he offers the following definition (1.2):

a)A collection [tex] \tau[/tex] of subsets of a set X is said to be a topology in X if [tex] \tau [/tex] has the following three properties:
i) [tex]\emptyset \in \tau [/tex] and [tex]X \in \tau [/tex]
ii) If [tex]V_{i}\in\tau[/tex] for i=1,[tex] \cdots [/tex],n, then [tex]V_{1} \cap V_{2} \cap \cdots \cap V_{n} \in \tau[/tex]
iii) If {[tex]V_{a}[/tex]} is an arbitrary collection of members of [tex]\tau[/tex] (finite, countable or uncountable) then [tex]\bigcup_{\alpha}V_{\alpha}\in \tau[/tex].

b)if [tex] \tau[/tex] is a topology in X, then X is called a topological space, and the members of X are called the open sets in X.

(Apologies for the random superscripts, I'm not sure why LaTeX felt they were necessary).

By considering the set {X, [tex]\emptyset[/tex]} doesn't this make every set a topological space? The first condition is obviously satisfied, the union of the empty set and any other set X is X, and the intersection of X with the empty set is the empty set... right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Right. That is called the indiscrete topology. Another obvious topology possible is the discrete topology, in which [itex]\tau=2^X[/itex] (the set consisting of all subsets of X).

So I'm not going mad then... thanks! :smile:

:rolleyes:Well, now, we can't speak to that!

Hello muppet, I'm curious about one thing. Did you immediately understand, that when we speak about a set being open, it is always meant, that it is open with respect to some topology?

It's just that I didn't understand this, when I read the Rudin for the first time. I thought that a set [tex]A\subset X[/tex] is called open, if there exists a topology [tex]\tau\subset\mathcal{P}(X)[/tex] so that [tex]A\in\tau[/tex]. By choosing [tex]\tau=\mathcal{P}(X)[/tex] it then followed that every set is always open. It took me more than a week to find out that openess is always defined with respect to some topology, and during this time, I was informed that I was stupid because I hadn't understood topology (traumatic memories about mathematics...) :devil:

Oh, please tell me that it was not a teacher who said you were stupid!

No, he was one physicist, whom with I communicated through the IRC. That's also why this wasn't strictly negative experience with mathematics. :biggrin: And one reason why I started getting interested in finding other places to talk about mathematics and physics. This happened before I had found PF :wink:

I think you've saved me some head-scratching there- thanks! I'd picked up that an open set belonged to some particular topology but hadn't fully followed that to its conclusion yet; I'll admit to a couple of raised eyebrows when he "defined" a set as being open or closed (which I now see as really defining a particular topoology on some space).
I'm viewing Rudin as a sort of project- 400 pages, about 4 pages a day, and as I won't do some every day then I'll try and be finished by Christmas. Of course, my resolution will be tested once term starts :rolleyes:
By the way, I should have specified a very particular definition of mad above- one whose trains of thought pertaining to the platonic world in which mathematical objects reside are derailed by some delusion foreign to that world. For the record, I'm entering my 3rd year at a UK university, and Rudin has no relevance to a course I'll be taking this or probably next year. Does that qualify me as being suitably barking for you to consider speaking to me again? o:)

The topology book which I have introduces the concept of open sets like this:

The members of [itex]\mathcal{T}[/itex] are called open (more precisely [itex]\mathcal{T}[/itex]-open) sets.

That is a good way to say it. Even if you are not going to call open sets usually [itex]\mathcal{T}[/itex]-open sets, it is good to know that they could be called that way. This way the student immediately understands what is meant by the concept.

I am at the end of three weeks in this semester, and I had the same problem. I will have my first exam the week after next week and you both help me tremendously.

muppet said:
(Apologies for the random superscripts, I'm not sure why LaTeX felt they were necessary).
Use [itex] instead of [tex]. (And similarly for the closing tag) The former is better formated for inline LaTeX. In fact, the two types of tags directly correspond to $...$ and \[...\].

If you're confused about the concept of an open set, all you need to remember is that the original motivation for calling these sets "open" is due to the canonical example of an open set being provided by the usual topology on [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]. More specifically, the usual topology on [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] consists of all open intervals [itex](a,b)[/itex] and their unions; the fact that these open intervals form a topology then gave rise to the practice of referring to any of the sets in a topology as open sets.

(Of course, another reason why confusion exists regarding open sets is that a topology [itex]\mathcal{T}[/itex] on a set [itex]X[/itex] necessarily includes both [itex]X[/itex] and [itex]\emptyset[/itex]. Unfortunately, the way in which we define closed sets implies that [itex]X[/itex] and [itex]\emptyset[/itex] are both open and closed. Go figure.)

1. What is a trivial topology?

A trivial topology on an arbitrary set is the simplest topology that can be defined on a set. It consists of only two elements: the empty set and the entire set itself. The empty set is considered open, and the entire set is considered closed.

2. How is a trivial topology different from other topologies?

A trivial topology differs from other topologies in that it contains the fewest number of open sets. Other topologies may have more complex structures and contain more open sets, making them more useful for studying the properties of a set.

3. Why is the trivial topology important in mathematics?

The trivial topology is important because it serves as a starting point for understanding more complex topologies. It allows for a basic understanding of the concept of open sets and closed sets, which are fundamental to topology. It is also useful in proving theorems and properties in more advanced topologies.

4. Can a trivial topology be defined on any set?

Yes, a trivial topology can be defined on any set. It is the most basic and universal topology that can be defined on a set, regardless of its size or properties.

5. What are the applications of the trivial topology?

The trivial topology has various applications in mathematics and other fields. It is used in topology to understand the concept of open and closed sets, which are fundamental in the study of more complex topologies. It is also used in computer science, physics, and other areas to model and analyze systems with simple structures.