Question about a complex regarded as a topological space

In summary, a complex K, when regarded as a topological space, is called a polyhedron and written |K|. The identification topology is a way of giving the union of the simplices in K the topology they inherit as polyhedra in Euclidean space. There is a distinction between simplicial complexes and topological spaces, as simplicial complexes have their own independent theory, including homology theories. Additionally, not all simplicial decompositions of a space are equivalent, leading to the importance of distinguishing between the two concepts.
kakarotyjn
Definition. A complex K,when regarded as a topological space,is called a polyhedron and written |K|.

I think it is easy to understand the definition,but there are some theorem and problems involving it confused me.

1.Let K be a simplicial complex in [tex] E^n[/tex],if we take the simplexes of K separately and give their union the identification topology,then we obtain exactly |K|.

And also I don't understand explicitly about identification topology,I only know a set A in Y is open if and only if [tex] \pi ^{ - 1} (A) [/tex] is open in X for which [tex] \pi [/tex]
is the map from X to the identification space Y.

What exactly does it means by saying 'if we take simplexes of K separately and give their union the identification topology'?What occurs to the simplexes of K by this?

2.Check that |CK| and C|K| are homeomorphic spaces.

Does it need proof? I think |CK|=C|K|,isn't it? If not,what's the difference between them?

Thank you very much!:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
kakarotyjn said:
Definition. A complex K,when regarded as a topological space,is called a polyhedron and written |K|.

I think it is easy to understand the definition,but there are some theorem and problems involving it confused me.

1.Let K be a simplicial complex in [tex] E^n[/tex],if we take the simplexes of K separately and give their union the identification topology,then we obtain exactly |K|.

And also I don't understand explicitly about identification topology,I only know a set A in Y is open if and only if [tex] \pi ^{ - 1} (A) [/tex] is open in X for which [tex] \pi [/tex]
is the map from X to the identification space Y.

What exactly does it means by saying 'if we take simplexes of K separately and give their union the identification topology'?What occurs to the simplexes of K by this?

2.Check that v| are homeomorphic spaces.

Does it need proof? I think |CK|=C|K|,isn't it? If not,what's the difference between them?

Thank you very much!:smile:

1. The simplices separately each have the topology they inherit as polyhedra in Euclidean space. These polyhedra are then glued together along facets of the simplices to produce the topological realization of the simplicial complex.

2.what are |CK| and C|K?

Thank you,lavinia! It seems a little clearer to me

CK is the cone on K.

kakarotyjn said:
2.Check that |CK| and C|K| are homeomorphic spaces.

I think C|K| is the cone on a topological space. |K| denotes a topological space not a simplicial complex.

CK is a simplicial complex not a topological space. |CK| is its topological realization.

I can't figure out why we distinguish the two concepts so preciously,why not regard a simplex not only a simplex but also a topological space?:confused:

kakarotyjn said:
I can't figure out why we distinguish the two concepts so preciously,why not regard a simplex not only a simplex but also a topological space?:confused:

A simplicial complex is a scaffholding overlayed upon a topological space. It is not a topological structure in and of itself. A given space will have infinite many different simplicial decompositions.

Simplicial complexes have there own theory, independent of their topology, e.g. they have homology theories.

An interesting question for manifolds is whether two simplicial decompositions are equivalent i.e. whether each can be subdivided into the same complex. If only the topology were interesting then this would be true. But there are examples where this fails this is, there are simplicial decompositions of the same topological space that are not equivalent.

1. What is a complex regarded as a topological space?

A complex regarded as a topological space refers to a mathematical structure in which points are connected to each other in a specific way, known as a topology. This structure is often used to represent geometric shapes or abstract objects.

2. How is a complex regarded as a topological space different from a regular complex?

A regular complex refers to a set of elements, while a complex regarded as a topological space includes a specific way in which those elements are connected. This connection is determined by a set of rules, known as the topology, which allows for the analysis and understanding of the complex as a whole.

3. What are some examples of complexes regarded as topological spaces?

Some examples include Euclidean spaces, manifolds, graphs, and networks. These are all structures that can be described and analyzed using topology, and are often used in various scientific fields such as physics, biology, and computer science.

4. How is topology used in studying complexes?

Topology is used to define and understand the relationships between elements in a complex. By analyzing the topology of a complex, scientists can identify patterns, connections, and properties that may not be apparent from just looking at the individual elements.

5. What are the practical applications of studying complexes as topological spaces?

The study of complexes as topological spaces has many practical applications, including in engineering, physics, biology, and computer science. It can be used to model and analyze complex systems, such as neural networks, social networks, and transportation networks, and to understand patterns and relationships within these systems.