About transformersplease explainthanks

• Thread starter cartik
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion around transformers and the concepts of kVA, input power, output power, copper losses, and iron losses. The relationship between kVA and input and output is explained, and it is noted that kVA cannot be taken as input power. The discussion also touches on the relationship between kVA and power factor, as well as the impact of load on copper losses and output power. The conversation ends with a question about the expression "v1i1 equals kVA + p(iron loss) + p(copper loss)" and how it relates to the book's explanation of "v1i1 equals kVA equals V2i2." The summary also includes a brief explanation of copper losses and how
cartik
I am learning about transformers, and I am really confused! Please explain what's kVA,input power,output power,and the copper losses and iron losses.can the kVA be taken as input power that's v1i1, how is kVA related to the input and output.is kVA into power factor equal to output. And how is copper power loss at full load is 4 tim es that of half load.how does the out put power become half when load is made half?? I am familiar with the basic stuff.its this kVA and load that has messed things up.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Is v1i1 equals( kVA+ p(iron loss) + p(copper loss))
Expression correct? If yes how does the book say that v1i1 equals kVA equals V2i2??
:(

cartik said:
how is copper power loss at full load is 4 tim es that of half load.how does the out put power become half when load is made half??
The term "load" for a transformer being shorthand for secondary current, where full load means the full rated secondary current, and half load being half of this.

Code:
Copper losses in the model are represented by the current in a resistance,
it dissipates energy as heat. 

power loss = I².R

if you consider half current, then power loss 
= (½.I)².R
= ¼.I².R ... and there you see that factor of ¼
:smile:

What is a transformer?

A transformer is a device that is used to transfer electric energy from one circuit to another through electromagnetic induction. It consists of two or more coils of wire wrapped around a core made of iron or ferrite.

How does a transformer work?

A transformer works by using the principle of electromagnetic induction. When an alternating current is passed through the primary coil, it creates a constantly changing magnetic field which induces a current in the secondary coil, thus transferring the energy from one circuit to another.

What are the different types of transformers?

There are two main types of transformers: step-up transformers and step-down transformers. Step-up transformers increase the voltage from the primary to the secondary coil, while step-down transformers decrease the voltage. Other types include autotransformers, isolation transformers, and three-phase transformers.

What are transformers used for?

Transformers are primarily used to step up or step down voltage for different purposes. They are commonly used in power distribution systems to increase the voltage for long-distance transmission and then decrease it for use in homes and businesses. They are also used in electronic devices to convert high voltage AC power to low voltage DC power.

Are transformers efficient?

Transformers are highly efficient devices, with efficiency levels of up to 99%. This means that very little energy is lost during the transformation process, making them an important component in the distribution of electricity and the functioning of electronic devices.