Absolute Converge test for 1/[n*ln(n)]

In summary, the conversation discusses finding whether the given series \sum_{n = 2}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n*ln(n)} converges absolutely, conditionally, or diverges. The ratio test is inconclusive, so the limit comparison test is suggested. The conversation also discusses using the integral test, which leads to an antiderivative of ln(ln(n)). The question of when to test for conditional convergence is also brought up.
donald1403

Homework Statement

[tex]
\sum_{n = 2}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n*ln(n)}
[/tex]

I have to find whether the series absolute converge, conditionally converge or diverge?2. The attempt at a solution

I used the ratio test.

so, lim(n to infinity) [n*ln(n)]/[(n+1)*ln(n+1)]

since ln (n+1) will be greater than ln (n) and n+1 will be greater than n, the whole denominator will be greater than the numerator so when i take the limit, the value must be less than 1.

but i think i have cancel n or ln(n) to show that the whole limit is really less than 1 to converge.

help!

i m sorry . i dun know how to use the latex code..

Physics news on Phys.org
No, the limit is 1 even though each [tex]\frac{n \ln n}{(n + 1) \ln (n + 1)} < 1[/tex], because [tex]\lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{n}{n + 1} = \lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{1}{1 + \frac{1}{n}} = 1[/tex] and [tex]\lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{\ln n}{\ln (n + 1)} = 1[/tex] by l'hopital's rule.

Since the limit is 1, the ratio test is inconclusive. Do you have any other methods to use?

i think i can use "limit comparison test" but i m not sure what i should use for bn.

if i use either 1/n or 1/ln(n) for bn, the limit goes to zero and since bn diverge, i can't decide on an(original term).

one more questions abt absolute convergence test. assuming the series is given, not alternative series, if i use one of the test n find out , it is divergent. it is divergent. rt?
i am confused with when i have to test for conditional convergence. is it only for alternate series.
all the examples in the textbook which turn out to be conditional convergence are alternate series..

sorry for asking too many questions in one post.

Use an integral test:
[tex]\int 1 / (n*ln|n|)[/tex]
A certain substitution should eventually lead to an antiderivative of:
ln(ln(n))

I'll leave the rest to you (remember to look at what lim n->inf: ln(ln(n)) does)

1. What is the Absolute Converge test for 1/[n*ln(n)]?

The Absolute Converge test for 1/[n*ln(n)] is a mathematical test used to determine whether an infinite series, defined by the function 1/[n*ln(n)], converges or diverges. It is a variation of the well-known Integral Test, which is used to test the convergence of series with positive terms.

2. How is the Absolute Converge test for 1/[n*ln(n)] performed?

The Absolute Converge test for 1/[n*ln(n)] is performed by first checking if the series is a positive decreasing function. If this condition is met, then the test compares the infinite series to an improper integral and evaluates whether the integral converges or diverges. If the integral converges, then the series also converges.

3. What is the difference between the Absolute Converge test and the Conditional Converge test?

The Absolute Converge test is used to determine the convergence of a series with only positive terms, while the Conditional Converge test is used for series with both positive and negative terms. For the series 1/[n*ln(n)], the Absolute Converge test can be used since the terms are always positive.

4. Can the Absolute Converge test be used for any series with positive terms?

No, the Absolute Converge test can only be used for series with positive terms that are also decreasing. If the terms of the series are not decreasing, then other tests such as the Ratio Test or Root Test must be used to determine convergence.

5. Are there any other important considerations when using the Absolute Converge test for 1/[n*ln(n)]?

Yes, it is important to note that the Absolute Converge test is only a sufficient condition for convergence. This means that if the test yields that the series converges, then it definitely does. However, if the test yields that the series diverges, it does not necessarily mean that the series actually diverges. Other tests may need to be used to confirm the divergence of the series.