Absolute convergence proving that limit =1

In summary, the limit as k approaches infinity of the absolute value of (cos(pi*k+pi))/(cos(k*pi)) is equal to 1. This can be shown by understanding that when k is an integer, cos(πk) alternates between -1 and 1. Therefore, the numerator and denominator of the fraction alternate between positive and negative values, resulting in an absolute value of 1. Several sources have been tried but ultimately, working through the problem and understanding the behavior of cos(πk) is the key to proving this limit.
Chaoticoli

Homework Statement

limit as k--> infinity ABS VALUE((cos(pi*k+pi))/(cos(k*pi)))

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Can someone prove to me why this limit is equal to 1? I have tried several other sources and I have not had any luck.

Physics news on Phys.org
Chaoticoli said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Can someone prove to me why this limit is equal to 1? I have tried several other sources and I have not had any luck.
If k is an integer, what is cos(πk) ?

It must alternate between -1 and 1.

Chaoticoli said:

Homework Statement

I have tried several other sources and I have not had any luck.

Tried other sources? Have you tried working it yourself? What have you done so far?

Chaoticoli said:
It must alternate between -1 and 1.

What is [itex]\displaystyle\ \left|\frac{\pm1}{\pm1}\right|\ ?[/itex]

I understand now. Thanks :)

1. What is absolute convergence and how does it relate to limits?

Absolute convergence refers to the convergence of a series without considering the signs of its terms. In other words, the series will converge regardless of whether the terms are positive or negative. This is important in determining the limit of a series, as it allows us to disregard the signs and focus on the magnitude of the terms.

2. How do we prove that the limit of an absolutely convergent series is equal to 1?

To prove that the limit of an absolutely convergent series is equal to 1, we use the definition of absolute convergence, which states that a series is absolutely convergent if the sum of the absolute values of its terms is finite. Then, we use the definition of a limit to show that the limit of the series is equal to 1 as the number of terms approaches infinity.

3. Can a series be absolutely convergent but not have a limit of 1?

Yes, a series can be absolutely convergent but have a limit other than 1. The absolute convergence of a series only guarantees that the series will converge, but it does not determine the value of the limit. It is possible for a series to have a limit of 1 but not be absolutely convergent, or to be absolutely convergent but have a limit other than 1.

4. What are some common examples of absolutely convergent series with a limit of 1?

One common example is the geometric series, defined as a series where each term is a constant multiple of the previous term. As long as the absolute value of the constant is less than 1, the series will be absolutely convergent with a limit of 1. Another example is the harmonic series, where each term is the reciprocal of a natural number. This series is also absolutely convergent with a limit of 1.

5. Why is proving absolute convergence and a limit of 1 important in mathematics?

Proving absolute convergence and a limit of 1 is important in mathematics because it helps us understand the behavior of series. It allows us to determine if a series will converge or diverge, and if it does converge, what its limit will be. This is essential in many areas of mathematics, including calculus, analysis, and number theory.