Absolute convergence Text Book question: Boas 3rd Ed

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition and test for alternating series convergence, specifically focusing on the role of absolute value and the use of (-1)n terms. The concept of an infinite integral is also briefly mentioned. The overall conclusion is that the use of (-1)n does not affect the convergence or divergence of a series.
Battlemage!
In Mary L. Boas' Mathematical Methods in the Physical Science, 3rd ed, on page 17 it goes over absolute convergence, and defines the test for alternating series as follows:

An alternating series converges if the absolute value of the terms decreases steadily to zero, that is, if |an+1| ≤ |an|, and limn→∞ an = 0.​

Now, my confusion starts with the limit. In the textbook, the limit is NOT of the absolute value of an, otherwise they would have written |an|, right?

In the example given to show this definition in operation, they are using the series ∑ [(-1)n+1]/n from 1 to infinity, however the limit they compute is limn→∞ 1/n and NOT limn→∞ [(-1)n+1]/n.So did they just forget the absolute value sign in the definition (where they wrote the limit)? Or did they just feel showing the absolute value was trivial? Or do I just not understand the definition given? Does an always mean you just disregard the (-1)n?

Thanks for insight.

Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]\lim_{n \to \infty} a_n = 0[/itex] if and only if [itex]\lim_{n \to \infty} |a_n| = 0[/itex] so in that sense it doesn't matter.

Likes Battlemage!
pasmith said:
[itex]\lim_{n \to \infty} a_n = 0[/itex] if and only if [itex]\lim_{n \to \infty} |a_n| = 0[/itex] so in that sense it doesn't matter.
Thought so. While testing power series end points I've been including the (-1)n terms in doing the limit test to see if they diverge, but this will save me some time. For example, I had one series which was (-1)nn3x3, and when testing the boundary point x = -1, I could have just looked at n3 instead of worrying about -1. Granted, it wasn't really much of a time saver since it's obvious that (-1)n*(-1)n is always positive, but I can see where it might help.

I appreciate the info.

I do have one other somewhat related question. For the integral test, can I also do the same with the (-1)n term? That would make things easier. For example, say I wanted to use the integral test to see if (-1)n/n2 converged. Could I just integrate 1/n2?

I mean since an infinite integral is really a limit, right?EDIT- I'm thinking NO, since 1/n diverges but (-1)n+1/n converges.

Battlemage! said:
I do have one other somewhat related question. For the integral test, can I also do the same with the (-1)n term? That would make things easier. For example, say I wanted to use the integral test to see if (-1)n/n2 converged. Could I just integrate 1/n2?
EDIT- I'm thinking NO, since 1/n diverges but (-1)n+1/n converges.
Besides that, you would have to explain what ##\int_0^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{x+1}}{x}dx## actually means.
I mean since an infinite integral is really a limit, right?
Yes, ##\int_0^{\infty} f(x) dx = \lim_{a \rightarrow \infty} \int_0^{a} f(x) dx##

1. What is absolute convergence?

Absolute convergence is a property of a series in mathematics, where the series converges regardless of the order in which its terms are added. In other words, the series will still converge even if the terms are rearranged.

2. How is absolute convergence different from conditional convergence?

Conditional convergence is a property of a series where the series only converges if the terms are added in a specific order. If the terms are rearranged, the series may not converge. Absolute convergence is a stronger condition, as it guarantees convergence regardless of the order of terms.

3. What is the importance of absolute convergence in mathematics?

Absolute convergence is important in mathematics because it allows for more flexibility when dealing with series. It ensures that the result of a series will be the same regardless of the order of terms, which can make calculations and proofs easier.

4. How can I determine if a series is absolutely convergent?

One way to determine if a series is absolutely convergent is by using the ratio test or the root test. If the limit of the ratio or root of the terms is less than 1, then the series is absolutely convergent. Another way is by using the comparison test, where the series is compared to a known absolutely convergent or divergent series.

5. Can a series be both absolutely and conditionally convergent?

No, a series can only be either absolutely or conditionally convergent. If a series is absolutely convergent, it is also conditionally convergent, but the converse is not true. This means that if a series is absolutely convergent, it will also converge if the terms are added in a different order, but if a series is conditionally convergent, it may not converge if the terms are rearranged.