Absolute Convergence Theorem and Test for Divergence Connection

Yes. That is a good argument. You could also show$$\frac{n+1}{(n+1)^2+1}\le \frac n {n^2+1}$$directly by simplifying it with... wait for it... algebra!You are right.I can simplify the inequality as:##\dfrac {1} {n^{2}+1}\le \dfrac {1} {n^{2}+2n+1}##But, I am not sure how this inequality helps me to conclude that the series is decreasing.You can simplify the inequality still further to$$1\le \frac{n^2+1}{n^2
knowLittle

Homework Statement

Determine whether the series is absolutely convergent, conditionally convergent, or divergent.

##\sum _{n=1}\left( -1\right) ^{n}\dfrac {n} {n^{2}+1}## the sum goes to infinity.

Homework Equations

Theorem for absolute convergence.
Test for divergence

The Attempt at a Solution

By the theorem of Absolute convergence: If the absolute value of the sum converges, then the sum converges.

##\sum _{n=1}\left| \left( -1\right) ^{n}\dfrac {n} {n^{2}+1}\right| =\sum \dfrac {\dfrac {1} {n}} {1+\dfrac {1} {n^{2}}}=0##

I found that it converges to zero. Now, If this was the test for divergence, the test would be inconclusive. Since it is the absolute convergence theorem, the sum without the absolute value also converges.

Is this reasoning correct?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
knowLittle said:

Homework Statement

Determine whether the series is absolutely convergent, conditionally convergent, or divergent.

##\sum _{n=1}\left( -1\right) ^{n}\dfrac {n} {n^{2}+1}## the sum goes to infinity.

Homework Equations

Theorem for absolute convergence.
Test for divergence

The Attempt at a Solution

By the theorem of Absolute convergence: If the absolute value of the sum converges, then the sum converges.

##\sum _{n=1}\left| \left( -1\right) ^{n}\dfrac {n} {n^{2}+1}\right| =\sum \dfrac {\dfrac {1} {n}} {1+\dfrac {1} {n^{2}}}=0##

I found that it converges to zero.

That's absurd on the face of it. All the terms in your absolute value series are positive. How can they possibly add up to 0?
Now, If this was the test for divergence, the test would be inconclusive. Since it is the absolute convergence theorem, the sum without the absolute value also converges.

Is this reasoning correct?

Thank you.

You haven't settled the absolute value series yet. If your absolute value series converges, then yes, the original series would be convergent. But you have a ways to go here. You haven't established anything yet. You might consider a comparison test on the absolute value series to get started.

I don't know how to settle the absolute value series.
However, I did some limit comparison of the original series with the alternating harmonic and found that both converge.

Then, I used the limit comparison test of the absolute value series with a divergent harmonic and found that both diverge.

Can I say that the infinite series converges conditionally?

knowLittle said:
I don't know how to settle the absolute value series.
However, I did some limit comparison of the original series with the alternating harmonic and found that both converge.

I have never heard of any kind of limit comparison test for alternating series, so I doubt whatever you did was correct, whether or not the result was.

Then, I used the limit comparison test of the absolute value series with a divergent harmonic and found that both diverge.

That may well be correct, but from what I haves seen of your stuff, I would want to see your work before I said so.
Can I say that the infinite series converges conditionally?

That would be correct if your conclusions are.

LCKurtz said:
I have never heard of any kind of limit comparison test for alternating series, so I doubt whatever you did was correct, whether or not the result was.
You are right. I can't use the limit comparison with alternating series, since the limit comparison can only be done when the terms compared are greater than 0.

LCKurtz said:
That may well be correct, but from what I haves seen of your stuff, I would want to see your work before I said so.

Here it is:
##\lim _{n\rightarrow \infty }\left[ \dfrac {\dfrac {n} {n^{2}+1}} {\dfrac {1} {n}}=\dfrac {n^{2}} {n^{2}+1}=\dfrac {1} {1+\dfrac {1} {n^{2}}}\right] =1
##
Where the limit comparison test tells us that if the limit >0 and is finite. Then, either both series converge or both diverge. I used the divergent harmonic series; therefore, the other series also diverge.

knowLittle said:
You are right. I can't use the limit comparison with alternating series, since the limit comparison can only be done when the terms compared are greater than 0.

Here it is:
##\lim _{n\rightarrow \infty }\left[ \dfrac {\dfrac {n} {n^{2}+1}} {\dfrac {1} {n}}=\dfrac {n^{2}} {n^{2}+1}=\dfrac {1} {1+\dfrac {1} {n^{2}}}\right] =1
##
Where the limit comparison test tells us that if the limit >0 and is finite. Then, either both series converge or both diverge. I used the divergent harmonic series; therefore, the other series also diverge.

Giood, that's correct. So you know the original series is not absolutely convergent. So you have yet to establish whether it is conditionally convergent.

Ok. So, I can't use the alternating series test. I will use the ratio test. I got an inconclusive ratio test.

I don't know how to proceed.

knowLittle said:
Ok. So, I can't use the alternating series test. I will use the ratio test. I got an inconclusive ratio test.

I don't know how to proceed.

The ratio test tests for absolute convergence and you already know it isn't absolutely convergent.

Why do you think you can't use the alternating series test? It is an alternating series after all.

You are right.
I can use the alternating series test. What I can't use is the limit test with an alternating series, since for that limit test both values have to be >0.

So, for the alternating series test, I found as the lim approaches infinity of term an
##\lim _{n\rightarrow \infty }[\dfrac {n} {n^{2}+1}=\left( \dfrac {\dfrac {1} {n}} {1+\dfrac {1} {n^{2}}}\right) =0##
I don't know how to show that A_(n+1) < A_n

Can I find the derivative of An and as in the integral test find, if the function is decreasing?

Last edited:
Finally,
##f^{1}\left( x\right) =\dfrac {-\left( x^{2}-1\right) } {\left( x^{2}+1\right) ^{2}}
##
for any value >=1, the derivative is negative and therefore decreasing.

Is this argument correct?
Can I conclude that by the alternating series test my series converges. Then, the series converges conditionally.

knowLittle said:
Finally,
##f^{1}\left( x\right) =\dfrac {-\left( x^{2}-1\right) } {\left( x^{2}+1\right) ^{2}}
##
for any value >=1, the derivative is negative and therefore decreasing.

Is this argument correct?
Can I conclude that by the alternating series test my series converges. Then, the series converges conditionally.

Yes. That is a good argument. You could also show$$
\frac{n+1}{(n+1)^2+1}\le \frac n {n^2+1}$$directly by simplifying it with algebra.

LCKurtz said:
\frac{n+1}{(n+1)^2+1}\le \frac n {n^2+1}$$directly by simplifying it with algebra.

I'm having trouble in showing it through Algebra.

I know that (n^2)+1 < (n+1)^2 +1 ; then, 1/( (n+1)^2 +1 ) < 1/( (n^2) +1)
Then, I could multiply both sides by n/ ( (n+1)^2 +1 ) < n/ ( (n^2) +1).

How do I show the last step in the numerator?

knowLittle said:
I'm having trouble in showing it through Algebra.

I know that (n^2)+1 < (n+1)^2 +1 ; then, 1/( (n+1)^2 +1 ) < 1/( (n^2) +1)
Then, I could multiply both sides by n/ ( (n+1)^2 +1 ) < n/ ( (n^2) +1).

How do I show the last step in the numerator?

You can't show it through algebra because it's not true. It's false for n=0. It's only true for n>1. I like the derivative argument better.

LCKurtz said:

Dick said:
You can't show it through algebra because it's not true. It's false for n=0. It's only true for n>1. I like the derivative argument better.

Of course you can show it with algebra and it's only necessary for it to be true for large ##n##. But in fact it is true for ##n\ge 1## and straightforward. Cross multiply (I switched the sides, I don't know why but I don't want to retype it)$$
n((n+1)^2 + 1) \ge (n+1)(n^2+1)$$ $$
n(n^2+2n+2)\ge n^3+n^2+n+1$$ $$
n^3+2n^2+2n\ge n^3+n^2+n+1$$ $$
n^2+n\ge 1$$All the steps are reversible. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder; I would have done it this way.

It looks good. Thank you.

knowLittle said:
It looks good. Thank you.

You're welcome. I hope you feel like you learned something from our exchanges today.

I did. :)

Last edited:

1. What is the Absolute Convergence Theorem and Test for Divergence Connection?

The Absolute Convergence Theorem states that if a series of numbers converges absolutely, then it also converges. The Test for Divergence, on the other hand, determines if a series diverges. The connection between the two is that if a series converges absolutely, then the Test for Divergence will also show that the series converges.

2. How do you use the Absolute Convergence Theorem and Test for Divergence Connection?

To use the connection, you first need to determine if the series converges absolutely. This can be done by checking if the series' absolute values converge. If they do, then the series converges absolutely. If not, then the Test for Divergence can be applied to determine if the series diverges.

3. What is the importance of the Absolute Convergence Theorem and Test for Divergence Connection?

This connection is important because it provides a quick and efficient way to determine the convergence or divergence of a series. It also helps to simplify the process of evaluating series, as the Test for Divergence can be applied to a wider range of series if the Absolute Convergence Theorem is used.

4. Can the Absolute Convergence Theorem and Test for Divergence Connection be used for all series?

No, the connection can only be applied to series with non-negative terms. For series with negative terms, the Alternating Series Test must be used to determine convergence or divergence.

5. How does the Absolute Convergence Theorem and Test for Divergence Connection relate to other convergence tests?

The Absolute Convergence Theorem and Test for Divergence Connection can be seen as a combination of the Ratio Test and the Comparison Test. It is also related to the Root Test, as the absolute convergence of a series implies its convergence by the Root Test. However, the connection is more versatile and can be used for a wider range of series.