1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Absolute value and differentiability

1. Jan 16, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi all

I have f(x)=|x|. This I write as

f(x) = -x for x<0
    f(x) = x for x>0
    f(x) = 0 for x=0

If I want to show that f(x) is not differentiable at x=0, then is it enough to show that

f'(x) = -1 for x<0
    f'(x) = 1 for x>0

and from this conclude that it is not differentiable at x=0? I am a little worried about f(x) at x=0.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You're close, but those two statements about f'(x) really only tell you about the derivative at points other than x=0. You need to address f'(0) explicitly and say why it doesn't exist. By definition, you have that

[tex]f'(0) = \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{f(h)-f(0)}{h}[/tex]

What are the requirements for this limit to exist?

4. Jan 16, 2010 #3
    That the limit is the same when approaching it from both sides?

So if I write what I wrote in my OP and add that f'(0) does not exist because it is not the same when going to 0+ and 0-, then f'(0) is not defined?

5. Jan 16, 2010 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Niles! :smile:

As vela :smile: has indicated, you're missing the point …

you don't need to use results related to one-sided differentials (and you'd have to state those results, and prove that they give you the answer you want, which would be very roudn-about) …

just use the definition of f'(0) (choose a delta, and describe what happens :wink:).

6. Jan 16, 2010 #5
    Uhm, I'm a little confused now. I understand that my mission is to show that f'(0) does not exist.

I can show that it isn't continuous (is that what you mean when you say choose a delta?), but differentiability => continuity, so showing that it is not continuous wont help me that much :confused:

7. Jan 16, 2010 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You're making this too complicated …

forget f'(x), just use (f(x+h)-f(x))/h …

[STRIKE]describe how (f(x+h)-f(x))/h behaves around x= 0, and show that that means that it has no limit.[/STRIKE]

describe how (f(h)-f(0))/h behaves around h = 0, and show that that means that it has no limit. :smile:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  8. Jan 16, 2010 #7
    For x<0 it is -1, and for x>0 it is 1, but I am not sure this is what you are refering to?

9. Jan 16, 2010 #8

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes. And so does it have a limit as h tends to 0? :smile:

10. Jan 16, 2010 #9
    No, it does not, so it's not differentiable there. Thanks!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook